Ruby Foo's | Teen Ink

Ruby Foo's

By GibbleLibble SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
GibbleLibble SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York

i love my friends like a nerd loves math class

**** I would give it four out of five stars because it stands out from other Asian restaurants with its variety of dishes, great service, and beautiful décor

Ruby Foo’s is a restaurant located in Times Square that specializes in Asian cuisine. When you walk in you see a 20-seat Sushi Bar where the sushi chefs make delicious rolls. It is decorated beautifully with mah jongg tiled walls, lanterns, and a gold leaf buddah in the corner. It is usually crowded around theater time.

I have been frequenting this restaurant for the last five years before and after Broadway shows and concerts. Over the weekend I was in Soho, so I called Ruby Foo’s for an 8 p.m. reservation. It is in a great location, Times Square, so we went to M&M World and walked around. We arrived at 7:30 P.M. and they seated us within five minutes at the only two empty tables. The décor is beautiful, and the Lazy Susans on the tables are convenient and fun. The waitress arrived immediately and asked for our drink orders and allergies. (They offer a gluten free menu.) For alcoholic beverages they offer cocktails, beer, and wine by the glass or bottle. The Lychee Mist, their version of a martini, is famous for its delicious taste. The wine list is award-winning, yet reasonably priced. She came back ten minutes later for our orders.
On the “Dim Sum” menu, which is appetizers, there are many delicious kinds of spring rolls, chicken, dumplings, vegetables, and seafood. They offer many sweet and sour, spicy, or mild sauces to cater to all different tastes. They offer soups, salads, fried rice, plain rice, and other dishes for picky eaters. My sister, who is a very picky eater, ordered plain rice and enjoyed the chicken pot stickers and General Ruby’s chicken. Our “Dim Sum” arrived in a half hour. The chicken pot stickers had a sweet and sour taste, while the shrimp spring rolls were spicy.
We had trouble deciding on the main course because everything sounded delicious. They offer seafood, poultry, and red meat dishes with many different sauces. The teriyaki chicken special sounded delicious, but we decided on the General Ruby’s chicken. We received our main course approximately ten minutes after we finished our Dim Sum. When we got our chicken dish we finished it immediately. Next time we will order it without vegetables and rice in hope that there will be more chicken. My friend enjoyed the Pad Thai so much that she took an order home.
For children they have a menu with dishes such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or chicken fingers and for the childrens’ desert they offer ice cream sandwiches or a “dirt ‘n worms” sundae. My brother enjoyed the chicken fingers, but he also had chicken pot stickers and loved them. On the dessert menu they offer American and Asian desserts, and for theatre-goers they offer cookies or popcorn to go. They also offer a wide variety of teas and coffees. Unfortunately, I was stuffed by the time I was done so I could not order dessert

Meals can cost anywhere from $31 to $50 per person. It is open from 11:30 A.M. to 11 P.M. on Sundays to Thursdays, 11:30 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. on Fridays, and 11:30 A.M. to midnight on Saturdays. Reservations are recommended but not required. Take-out and deliveries are available.

on Dec. 13 2010 at 2:13 pm
BrainsANDBeauty PLATINUM, Donnellson, Iowa

I knew that guy when he was a caterpillar, you know, before he 'came out'

MMM.... I'm hungry already.  I wish I lived closer.