Toms Shoes | Teen Ink

Toms Shoes

January 11, 2010
By 2stickelmaier GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
2stickelmaier GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With every pair of shoes you buy from TOMS, the company will donate a second pair to a child in need. This all started in 2006 when traveler, Blake Mycoskie, went on a trip to Argentina. There he discovered most children went days without shoes on their feet. These children were at risk for infection from contaminated soil. If an open wound is infected, the feet are then amputated.
Most schools in South America require children to wear shoes as part of the uniform. Without shoes, the children can’t get an education. This is why Mycoskie created TOMS, with help from friends and family. From there they developed the One for One Movement. Through this movement TOMS donates thousands of shoes to children in need.

TOMS not only helps children around the world, but they also are fashionable. There are hundreds of colors and kinds of TOMS Shoes, with new shoes created every week. Most of them have a laid-back moccasin style.
The shoes range from $22 to $98. TOMS also makes everything from tote bags to jewelry.

With all the artificial drama that teenagers get wrapped up in, it’s easy to forget about the rest of the world and the people that need our help. Don’t be one of those people. Join the One for One Movement!