The Coolest Show on Broadway | Teen Ink

The Coolest Show on Broadway

By courtneyprendergast GOLD, Oakland, New Jersey
courtneyprendergast GOLD, Oakland, New Jersey

The lights dim and all voices in the St. James theater stop as the music begins to play. The suspense grows and grows until the first performers take their places on stage, and suddenly the theater lights up and transforms into a magical castle in a far away country called Arendelle. Hundreds of children in the audience squeal with excitement as the cast of the Broadway musical Frozen dances across the stage in perfect unison. These children watch in awe as their favorite movie comes to life before their eyes, captivated by Elsa (Caissie Levy) and Anna (Patti Murin) in their princess ball gowns. Frozen the movie has charmed the hearts of many young children and adults, and likewise the musical manages to revive that love for it once more, in a new and unique way.

Directed by Michael Grandage, Frozen the Musical is most definitely a Broadway show to be reckoned with. Since its opening on March 22, 2018, thousands of people have sat in the St. James theater and experienced, many for the first time, the true magic of Broadway. Grandage’s direction is exquisite, bringing the animated Frozen to life on stage. Entertainment Weekly writes, “Tony-winning director Michael Grandage refines Frozen by putting the focus on emotion first… and doubters may just have their hearts thawed” (Frozenthemusical.com). The cast is extremely talented, with Caissie Levy (previously seen as Fantine in Les Miserables on Broadway) as Elsa, Patti Murin as Anna, John Riddles as Hans, and Jelani Alladin making his Broadway debut as Kristoff. A prominent character in the show, Caissie Levy truly embodies the magic of Queen Elsa in “Let It Go” as the New York Times states, “Cassie Levy booms out her numbers with astonishing aplomb, her ‘Let It Go’ is really sensational” (Nytimes.com). Caissie Levy truly leaves you with chills, and the applause following her song thunders through the theater night after night. The number is the perfect way to end Act I, and the scenic design, special effects and costumes are all magnificent, leaving a perfect first impression and the want for more. “Let It Go” truly resonates with its audience, no matter how old you are. The magic of Frozen is truly at its peak in this number.

In addition to the musical numbers and talented cast, the special effects and scenic design of the show are breathtaking sights to behold. Jeremy Chernick is the special effects design leader and the show, in my opinion, would be incomplete without his work. The effects in Frozen make the magical elements of the movie’s animation a reality on the stage. With the flick of Elsa’s hand, the theater lights up in an icy glow, looking as if it is made of actual ice. Along with special effects, the scenery and costumes, headed by Christopher Oram, are yet another element that translate wonderfully from the film to the musical. The costumes are regal and imaginative, successfully weaving modern costuming and classic ballroom attire together. It is detailed and unique, bringing the true icy feel of Frozen to life yet again through a different element.

The last element that makes Frozen a living wonderland is Rob Ashford’s choreography. The dancers bring an aristocratic feel to the ballroom and a jazzy feel to the mountains. The choreography is diverse, bringing character to the show itself and setting the bar high for other shows to come on Broadway. Dance numbers such as “Fixer Upper” and “Hygge” are practiced to perfection, making the audience want to join in on the fun. Entertainment Weekly writes, “Rob Ashford’s choreography rarely has cause to let loose but is often a treat, and the production as a whole makes creative use of bodies” (Connolly). Connolly specifies that although Rob Ashford’s choreography is filled with precise movements, it still is enjoyable to watch, which is proven through the crowds that fill the St. James every night. Ashford’s choreography was ultimately my favorite part of the musical, reminding me why I love Broadway and theater as a whole.

Frozen on Broadway is definitely a perfect theatrical portrayal of the movie musical that premiered in 2013. The show is amazing, and it was nominated for the Tony award of Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical, rightfully so. The music is upbeat and fun, and the staging is interesting and majestic. Although Frozen is a Disney show, something usually appealing to a younger audience, people of all ages can come to the musical and enjoy themselves. I strongly recommend that you pay a visit to the St. James Theatre, the most astonishing place on Broadway right now.

I went to go see Frozen in September, and it was one of the best shows I've seen to date. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I decided to write a review in order to raise awareness for future audience members.