The Glass' Bottom

She downs another sip, the sizzling taste
Bitter on her red lips. Sometimes it seems
That the glass’ bottom, to her distaste,
Is her only comfort. The ceaseless stream
Of champagne was never-existing once,

Before her husband was consumed by lust,
Before her sons ignored her calls for months,
Before in her friends she lost all trust.

She’s a candle whose wick is depleting.
Her eyes pour tears like drops of melted wax.

But the glass’ bottom is beckoning.
In her blurry vision, it raises the axe.

She offers her bent head and with closed eyes,
She foolishly gives her final goodbyes.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 3:55 pm:
I love this poem; its heartbreaking yet speaks emotions that cannot be conveyed through words. You are a namazing writer. I love how you can show images without flat out telling the reader. Awesome job on this! :P

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 4:07 pm :
Thank you! I was worried that this would come across as apathetic (considering that I have not experienced this particular situation), but I'm glad you like it! :D Have a great day!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:19 am:
Thats just... wow. Its heartbreaking. This kind of reminds me (in metaphors, not style) of the song "Whiskey Lulliby". Both have that element wjere they refer to alcohol as a way to end their lives. Here, an ax, there, a gun. I founf the line about having lost trus in herbfriends fairly awkward. Surely there could have been other ways of saying it....? It is, however, a VERY good poem, especially the last three(?) Stanzas. (I cant tell if you merely like the idea of short stanzas that rhyme with... (more »)

today at 4:10 pm :
Ha, the duet with Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss. That used to be my cousin's favorite song, actually. Thank you for the feedback! I do like short stanzas that rhyme, but you're right; I had a hard time with the line "Before in her friends she lost all trust." Anyways, have a great day! :D