Actions of the Past (WWI)

No soldier fought that did not die,
In heart, or mind, no man unharmed.
All men the same under smoggy sky.
Like bloody butchers death was farmed,
No way to stop the loathsome harm.
The recruiters did their work too well
Propaganda’s unrelenting charm.
The boom and crash of a distant shell
Scarce heard by those now too eager
To serve their country now and forever,
All disbelief at the ceaseless death figure
Brave young men are but a lever.
The shells will fall and men will burn
Unless it stops you will take your turn.

Prehistoric-FoolThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nice, I've been searching for WWI poems on here... Although a few rhymes were a bit forced, overall- good job(: check out my -Wounds of War poem, it's on the same general topic (WWI)

Emily_Greene said...
Very nice, 5 stars. Hope you check out my work too.

Lisa said...
Beautiful. This reminds me of poems written long ago, where the weight of the falling bodies together with the press of ink to paper were deeply felt. Thanks for publishing this lovely poem.

allie_michelle13 said...
Sept. 10, 2012 at 10:11 am
I really like this! I love the line that talks about how every soldier died somehow. Good viewpoint! (:

richardsonjb said...
Sept. 9, 2012 at 8:13 am
Words are powerful and even more so when woven together skillfully in poetry.  This transports us to the battlefield and calls us to conscience and action.  May both youth and their guardians heed -- and may this young poet continue to cultivate her talent and her craft!

ASFSS said...
Sept. 7, 2012 at 8:03 am
Wow powerful piece!!  The imagery comes forward as well as the message of how "going to war" becomes glorified.  Keep writing!

Rainbow Bridge said...
This poem is so very insightful; such an empathetic understanding of soldiers.

DolphinSP said...
The poem truly captures the "weather" of WWII in it's cloudy, bloody, scary depths. Good use of rhyme but without being tied to it. Keep writing!