What You Need to Know | Teen Ink

What You Need to Know

By shaylapurple16 PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other
shaylapurple16 PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other

"Writing doesn’t mean deciding to sit still all of your life and think. Ideas come from living and experiencing life, and then stepping back to think." -Shayla

Your laughter is like music to my ears,
Your smile is like the golden sun mid-day.
If you are happy, I will have no tears.
Your joy, it makes me glad in ev’ry way.
When I’m with you, my heart is filled with joy.
The cold, deep darkness of my heart is lost.
Anyone who hurts you I would destroy,
Trouble to help you, I would pay that cost.
A bad day where ev’rything is all wrong,
When it feels and seems like I have no hope,
You give me the courage to remain strong.
It’s amazing how you help me to cope.
If you went away, you need to know this,
Thanks for being great, it’s you I will miss.

In class we were learning about Romeo and Juliet, and Shakespeare wrote many sonnets. Writing this sonnet was quite different from my other poems, because sonnets have the rule of 10 syllables per line, a rhyming scheme. Still, I really like this poem.

on Dec. 19 2012 at 8:57 am
I know who she's talking about... ;)

on Nov. 14 2012 at 4:50 am

Thank you!  

on Aug. 17 2012 at 8:42 am
writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts

"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

Really great!! This is an amaizng first sonnet! My first sonnet is called "Midnight Fright" if you want to check it out.  But this is awesome! Loved it,  this deserves 5 stars!

Thanks so much for reading! This was my first sonnet, thanks for the tip, next time I'll try not to be repetitive :) I would love to read your stuff. Thanks again for reading!  

so_joy SILVER said...
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey

"Be the change you want to see."

Great! This is a great addition to Romeo and Juliet. Although, I do think you said "joy" once too many, and it is starting to sound a bit repetetive. Aside from that, you did a fanatstic job. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks!

Akilah said...
I like this poem.  Makes me think about my mother.  I wonder who you are talking about. Once again, good job!