Man, Death and Their Mutual Friend

Is there a sweeter friend to man than Death?
For it is Death who, patient, holds the door.
He's at our bedside for our final breath
And visits every land on every shore.
A mother mourns the son that's left her reach,
But death enclosed both in his embrace.
He guards his Guests within his Gothic Keep,
And Saints are ever gladdened by his face.
But ah! These things are hellish but for Christ!
Without Death's King, his Keep? A Blackish Hole!
And every man'd be trapped in endless night
Without a Heaven to reclaim their souls.
He's but a friend who sweetly holds the door
That's gate to God, a Friend who's sweet still more.

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:49 am:
I love this!!! It's a happy poem about death! Omg!!! (Can't believe I just said that...) I love this! I love your veiws on death! Write on!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm :
:) Thanks!

DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a really good poem. I have always thought of death as a friend, and not something to be afraid of or it shouldn't be for some people. Anyways I love it!!!

Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:32 am :
Thanks, Glad you think so!

DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm :
Your welcome!

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:50 am:
Hey Christi, Liv here! So, i really like this. You turned death from this monstrous thing that people feel is an end, and turned it into somewhat if a friend-ish sort of thing. Beautiful job! I really love the classic feel of your work. It is very unique! Okay, I was just checking in and people were recommending your work to me so yeah. Keep Rockin Christo

Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm :
Well, Im honored. It always astonishes me a little to hear someone likes my poems, and more to hear them recommended. I like to think of this both as an introduction to a friend (death) and a slap, and a second introduction. The first part tries to show the genial nature of Death, but then it goes on as sort of a rebuke against nihlism, against loving death *as* and Ending. It reminds that Death is sweet because of the Lord of Life, because of the "Mutual Friend" of man and death that Death brin... (more »)

jmitchbb said...
I really like this poem, it reminds me of the narrator of The Book Theif, if you haven't read it, you definitly should!

Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:25 pm :
The comment about "Book Theif" being a nickname was a reply to you. Thank you fortaking the time to comment on my work!

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Gee, thanks! I had to try and work hard to make Death come to life... (that oun was an accident.)

Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm :
Lol, perhaps I will. It used to be my nickname in my fam (i still maintain my claim of innocence!!)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:08 am:
An exceptional sonnet! The theme is so well-portrayed. The last line is my favourite. 

Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:10 am :
The "Gee, thanks ect reply was to you, Dua. I clicked on the wrong button.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm :
Well, seems all the hard work sure paid off! Cause this is AWESOME.

AmayaEcho said...
I really like this!  It's a balance between the goodness of Christ, who is, in a way, both life and death!

Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm :
I do not think of him as being death.... not quite. Death was... invented by men, almost. More of, he is the one who tamed death, who made death our ally. It is amazing to me... the author of life taking death and making death INTO life! I remeber waching Mel Gibson's Passion, and seeing that scene where Christ turns to his mother and hes all beaten and bloody and says "See, Mother? I make all things new."

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. My eyes are opened now!! I honestly never though of death as being a prologue of relief to the journey we call life. This is a very intriguing perspective, and I look forward to reading more of your work!!

Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:43 pm :
Thank you. :)

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing! I like the new way you portray death in this poem; most of us would not think death to be a good part of life. The style of writing is beautiful! 

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:13 pm :
Thanks, Rain, its a poem im proud of. Glad you liked it.