The constant onlooker This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I know an old man who lives down the lane
With a wrinkled, old face and a thin, wooden cane
From time to another, will waver an inch
But never is he known to rise from his bench

His face a still surface and a window for his eye
Content to be the witness of the world gliding by
As it croons its happy-sad, slow melody to him
A mind gently swaying to the never-ending rhythm

The fellow sits there all the morning to watch the dawn of day
Our sun is climbing through its realm to find its daily stay
Dabbed, the old man’s feet, by diamond drops of dew
On the face of all around the lane is brushed a brighter hue
Creatures, every breed, deliver their new-day song
A happy heart frolics with them all along
Persons stir from in their homes; call down the lane to say
“Good morning!’ to the one who always sees the dawn of day

He sits there all the afternoon to watch the noontime of day
Colors flit ‘round and ‘round to brightly lead the eyes astray
A hand of warmth envelops him throughout the lengthy hours
He sups the sun with budding leaves and blooming flowers
Blithe butterflies flutter; the aged trees creak and sway
A smile in the air when the children come to play
Majestic clouds bow low to him, only to swirl away
Bow low to the one who always sees the heart of day

He sits there all the evening to watch the close of day
Through windows of homes, to glimpse the folks that pray
But darkness crawls across the sky, keeps the light at bay
Lonely silence lingers when Day’s last sparks die away
Save a twinkle from dark depths; the stars have come to stay!
Light, darkness, silence, sound- skipping hand in hand
Beautifully joyous in the dusk-to-dawn band
A worn face in the shadows observes the array
The face of the one who always sees the close of day

Everyday

And feels Spring’s lively cheers
And Winter wielding chilly tears
And Summer with its golden grin
And Autumn with its crispy skin

The world so heartily embraced
By the wrinkled, old man
Who sits on a bench
And lives down the lane

IamtheStargirl said...

Favorited :)

The flow is elegant, and the rhymes are so un-stiff. Lucky. I love your work, and I'm sure you will go to great heights.

Shame on Teenink for not publishing any of your work.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Danke, dove. I'm delighted that I was able to create something for your enjoyment.

A shy dove J. replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 9:45 am
Everything you create is a good source of enjoyment which always manages to crawl deep in my heart.

DreamWriter15 said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 12:20 am
I think I would like to meet this old man, and ask him the secret to his world...watching ours...for I think we all need the secret to enjoying the pure life of each moment.  He must have some supernatural help.  He must be the wisest man alive.  I wish I could live on his lane.  Five stars!

I'm so grateful that you took the time to look at so much of my stuff! Yes, the man is very wise. I can introduce you two, but he doesn't talk much (he just smiles and dwells on the present). But there are lanes like his all over the world.

chrisbriones said...

Simply a deep appreciation for life and all which it entails. Satisfaction in merely bearing witness to all of its captivations. So smoothly delivered and so harmonically sounded.

I love the concept of the old man, by the way. The hint of clever as motif in each of your poems.

My mind is in melody. Thank you.

Thank you for your compliments, my eloquent friend. Forgetting all grandiloquence, I will say this: you really get my work... man. Thanks for commenting.

chrisbriones replied...
Because your works' beckoning is irresistable.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the rhyming scheme captain. hold on, wait for me...

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
...okay, "to find its daily stay" thats a favorite. i love how you told this story and i do ador the rhyming schemism. do your dance captain. 5 stars.

Thanks, you make me blush. When you say 'do your dance,' are you referring to my locally infamous flamenco? If so, you have encouraged me to double check if this website is anonymous.

uh...i dont know what flamingo thing you're talking about.

MercedesXO replied...
hahahahahah

heeheeheeheehee.

no, really.

MercedesXO said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:08 am
Again, i am somewhat shocked at your way with words and your talent for writing. You REALLY have talent, and i am quite fond of your work. Again, excellent use of imagery, and your work is excellently and skilfully written. I applaud you.

Thanks, that's very kind of you.

inksplatters21 said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:27 am
This was great I especially like the part about summer, winter, spring and autumn.  keep writing, i'd love to read more

wind.and.rain.again said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 9:16 am
wow what a beautiful poem. its deep and lighthearted at the same time and it makes me wonder and think which is the best compliment to a poet!

Thanks so much! I'm glad it made you wonder; that was one of my goals of writing this.

savetheplanet replied...
I simply don't understand how you weren't published at least once.  I love how you see the world through old eyes.