Photographs | Teen Ink

Photographs

By hnabanana SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa
hnabanana SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa

V1:
Barbies everywhere, some type of food in your hair. Living and laughing in this big new world, life is simple when you're a 3 year old girl.
You have no regrets in your past, your whole life is being photographed, but slow down, cuz life gets harder startin now.
And it's your first day of 12 more years, you look at your momma and wonder why she's in tears. And you struggle as your grandma squeezes you tight and for the first time in a while you wish your dad was still by your side

Chorus 1:
You're growing up, yeah you're growing up too fast and pretty soon your present will be your past. So slow down, baby, and take a photograph.

V2:
You blush as you look into his eyes, oh the rush of falling in love for the first time. And he's everything you've wanted him to be, and they say teenagers don't know what love means, but at that time they were wrong and you were right, but now you realized that he was never really by your side.
So now you're all alone with the temptation to call his phone just to hear his voice.
Then you blew out those candles and ya turned 14, and you're starting to figure out what love and hurt really mean, life's so complicated and you're just a teen.

Chorus 2:
You're growing up, yeah you're growing up too fast and you just want your present to turn into your past, but deep down you know that this hurt won't last. So slow down, baby, and take a photograph.

V3:
And you take a deep breath and you open the door, never experienced this kind of confusion before. And you look around and try to find a familiar face, but this is no longer innocence and this isn't your race.
And then you walk cautiously into that classroom and there he is, and for a second your green eyes meet his and everything you've tried to forget comes back again.

Chorus 3:
Yeah you're growing up, yeah you're growing up too fast. You can't live in the present, if you keep reliving the past, and I know that you don't believe me but this hurt won't last, so slow down baby, and take a photograph.

Bridge/Ending:
Ohhh, just slow down, slow down, yeah take it all in. Slow down, slow down, not everything you want is always worth it!
Oh slow down, slow down, baby just take it all in. Slow down, slow down, Because this is a new beginning, it's not the end.

Ending:
Yeah you grew up, grew up, you grew up too fast, your sittin down in the present but you're looking through your past. Oh, so slow down, slow down, life is just a photograph.

I think at the age I'm at you're growing up, just a little too fast, and you want your childhood back.. I'm just kind of reflecting on my life so far and wishing I could go back to the moments where it's like, "Remember this moment. You're gonna want to relive it or this is an important event that can change you." Such as losing your dad at a young age, falling in love for the first time, starting high school, and to me, those moments are like photographs, except you can't visually see them, but you can relive them.