You're Just Tan Lines | Teen Ink

You're Just Tan Lines

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

You're the books, untouched on the shelf
You're the post-its that never, ever fell
You're the lipstick stains on my mirror
You're why I see so much clearer
You're the tan lines of what was once there
You're the highlights of my grown out hair
You're the shades I once wore as a kid
A reminder of what I once did

[Chorus]
And it's the things
That you made me do
It's the ways
That you hold on to
Making me remember
Remind me

You're the lonely VHS on the shelf
You're the truth I always try to tell
You're the glasses that I outgrew in the past
You're the flowers in the field so vast
You're the raindrops at my windowpane
You're the sandwich that I've always wanted plain
You're the things my parents always hid
A reminder of what I once did

[Chorus]
And it's the things
That you made me do
It's the ways
That you hold on to
Making me remember
Remind me

[Bridge]
Oh, remind me
I'm forgetting, losing
Dropping all the bits
Forgetting, losing
Losing

[Chorus]
And it's the things
That you made me do
It's the ways
That you hold on to
Making me remember
Remind me

Remind me

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

You're welcome. Hey, I didn't notice, Jetta changed to Taylor hehehe, well I did love reading your stuff again, and look forward to reading more :)

on Sep. 8 2013 at 11:44 am
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

THank you!!! It means a ton, honestly. (: I appreciate it so much.

on Sep. 8 2013 at 6:34 am

- Maya Angelou

Another song lyrics! Sweet! Well, firstly these are EVEN better than the other ones, I mean not belittling that song, but this is just amazing. The first stanza really got me gripped. You are really good at this Jetta! Love it. Love it.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks so much! I'm not much of a singer either. ;)

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

I love the title, first off! It's pretty original. And the metaphors used in this are great. I want to hear this sung because it sounds great just read aloud. I tried to sing it, but I'm no Mariah or Chrisitna. Ha! Good job! Xx!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Ok, just read the whole comment Claire, and thank you :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you so much! (:

PrincessClaire BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

don't do me do your hair

Great job again Jetta! I agree with readaholic (btw, love the name), about wanting to hear it to music, but the thing is, I can already picture it to music, I was even as I read it. And that means its a good song!

~Jhonen Vasquez

LOL well I really like your poetry (:

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I promise I'll check yours out!! (: I love how you write, btw.

on Mar. 27 2013 at 10:17 am

~Jhonen Vasquez

Well it's not like your articles are three-page-long-stories like mine :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

You're perfectly fine. (: Thank you so much for commenting on, like, all of my work. x) You're awesome!!

on Mar. 26 2013 at 10:23 am

~Jhonen Vasquez

I like this poem (especially the title :)) and I really want to hear this to music!  It's really interesting and not like any other song I've heard.  I can't explain it, it's just a cool song....and sorry this comment sucks so bad :S