Operation Equivocation | Teen Ink

Operation Equivocation

June 17, 2012
By TraceBatWingsAndBrokenStrings DIAMOND, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
TraceBatWingsAndBrokenStrings DIAMOND, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
52 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This gun has stopped time in its tracks, has altered the course of our fate. Destiny is shattered and timeless. Closed eyes feel the cold winds embrace."
-Avenged Sevenfold


Lined up, ready to go. Can't be slow. Gotta know how to survive the fight, 'cause tonight we could die.
The worlds collide and the fires ignite. The sight of the war zone is etched in my mind.
My M4's cocked. My M9's locked. Adrenalin is sky high as my friends die.
The benefits just won't suffice, no matter how nice. Now we have to kill others for Christ.

If you could see it through my eyes, you'd understand it all.
If you had to embrace their lies, you'd want to see their faction fall.
My soul fragments like a grenade as the bullets fly and the death tolls rise.
I might not come home tonight, so hold me tight, and say goodbye.

Don't stop, it's only begun. We're overrun. No fun to be had with our plight, 'cause tonight we could die.
The battlefield's hot and the troops won't stop. The pop-pop of the firearms are etched in my mind.
My Remington's ready. My trigger finger's steady. I'm high on the thrill as my buddies are killed.
I know it's not okay, but I have to stay, so lead, follow, or get out of the way.

If you could hear it through my ears, you'd understand it all.
If you had to live your life in fear, you'd want to see their faction fall.
My heart explodes like a shotgun shell as the bullets fly and the death tolls rise.
I might not come home tonight, so hold me tight, and say goodbye.

We're stepping across the crisis line, unsure if any of us will come back this time.
An unwavering chill sweeps across my spine, knowing I might not return in the back of my mind.
Notify my next of kin, and pray to God that our side will win.

Can you feel the stopping power of my sniper-like precision?
I wish I could leave, 'cause I'm missing you, but that's not my decision.
I promise I'll be back alongside my brothers, whether it be in this life or some other.

If you could live your life like mine, you'd understand it all.
If you just couldn't break their binds, you'd want to see their faction fall.
My mind detonates like an IED as the bullets fly and the death tolls rise.
I might not come home tonight, so hold me tight, and say goodbye.


The author's comments:
Probably my favorite piece that I have written to date. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that it will go largely unnoticed. Oh well.