Livin' This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Yesterday
I packed a bag of multigrain Cheerios and I walked across the street
And yesterday
I sang quietly and I sang every note on key
I fought with my mom, laughed with my friends,
said hi in the halls at school
I ran four miles,
did my homework wrong,
and followed all the rules
But then I thought,
Why live life if you're not really livin'?
And what if tomorrow, I die?

So I ran faster, sang louder, with my guitar
I kissed my mom on the cheek, slept for a week,
and ate a Pop Tart
And I've never felt so free,
I've never been more me
I've learned to smile and the gift of givin'
Cuz why live life if you're not livin'?
So I swam faster, sang louder, with my guitar
I drank lemonade and napped in the shade
and gazed at the stars
I think I fell in love with that feeling from
Above the surface when I was swimming
Why live life if you're not livin'?
Why live life if you're not livin'

Summertime, springtime, wintertime and fall
I forget that I might die and I breeze through it all
Then I go to church and start to pray
And the tears wash my makeup away
And I don't want to go back home,
'cause now I feel so alone
So I pick up a racket
and play tennis with my phone!

And I swim faster, drink louder, slurping lemonade
I swim with the dolphins, talk to old people
and nap in the shade
I kissed my mom on the cheek, sang for a week, learned the gift of givin'
Cuz why live life if you're not livin'?
Why live life if you're not livin'?

TravelerenRouteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 14 at 11:27 pm
wow! Amazing!

snowhasfallen said...
this is soooooooo pretty i wish i were this talented!!!!!!!

Jazzimaniac said...
This is so inspiring...and so true.

ThatGirl said...
this is really good! love it. its touching! 

InkJetSpirit3 said...
dude, or chick, this is amazing. i loved it. it reminded me of the ending of "It's Kind of a Funny Story" which bacame my new favorite movie right after i saw it.

musicispassion replied...

hey artemis not to sound wierd but are you a girl or buy by the way you pick sweet charater names.

ijumpedbutmissedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this so much, sometimes when I'm bored I just search for this song. I love it so so much, I could never come up with something so unique as this. Everything is perfectly original!

Maximum.Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love love love love love (you get my drift). OMG I wish so much that I could write like this *sob*

Aspiringauhor said...
I am actually a singer and I was looking for some lyrics so I took the liberty of singing these! The funnest (I just made up a word there) song I have EVER sung! I really love this song! So meaningful, unlike all the songs about parties and breakups we hear on the radio. Thank you for providing me and everyone with this wonderful song to sing when we're wondering about life's purpose. :)

sonnysulouff This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 9:48 am
wow thanks, that's really nice!

Aspiringauhor replied...
I just couldn't resist. :)

Emilia901 said...
Okay I accidently marked this a 4 but I swear I meant to put a 5! This was a really cute poem and I liked the sort of playfulness that it had in it.

thanks a bunch!

OriginalCarbonation said...
this is my theory about life. and so well put. soooo relatable. i really love the second to last stanza especially, "i forget that i might die and i breeze through it all. then i got to church and i start to pray and the tears wash my makeup away and i dont want to go back home, cause now i feel so alone." those lines struck my heart. i literally stopped breathing. of course i started breathing again, but i had to re-read it again and again. it was just soooo amazingly well put. soooooo perfect.... (more »)

Wow! Thank you so much!

loversinjapan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very true. Very good. You should get someone to sing it so we everyone can listen to it on iHeart radio!

sonnysulouff This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:42 am
Thanks everyone! :)

nonconformist22 said...
I like the fun images in this song and how you managed to make it un-cliche, as it had the potential to be. I wish I could hear the music to this!

Ians_Lover said...
Sept. 5, 2010 at 1:59 am
Love it! This is really meaningful stuff :D great job!

kasiajonas said...
I love it. It's so true and I think it can help people realize what they live for. :)