America, home of the brave | Teen Ink

America, home of the brave

By missfloetry SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois
missfloetry SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
-Al Capone, American Gangster

This is America, home of the brave

Known for their cruel treatment to slaves

Home to animals who sleep in caves

And gnarly surfers who ride on waves

There's no need to be afraid

America will come to your aid

If you got wings they'll dig you a grave

No how no way

No place to stay

But this is America, home of the brave

I hope that people look more into the harsh realities of America and think differently after reading this.

-Al Capone, American Gangster

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply.

-Al Capone, American Gangster

Thank you. :)

Consalvator BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reminds me of Uncle Sam G*dd*mn by Brother Ali. I wouldn't really qualify this as a limerick, it's more freeverse. Very powerful lines, but it seems like there wasn't much real heart into it. Like you are trying to convince someone that you don't like something you like. I really like some of the images you showed, especially the line "If you got wings they'll dig you a grave". Keep writing. :)

-Al Capone, American Gangster

Thank you! Limericks are "supposed" to be 5 lines long, but as you can see I made it a little longer. I'm a rebel!!! >:) lol

Gagax SILVER said...
on Aug. 6 2016 at 10:08 am
Gagax SILVER, Sugarland, Texas
this is really good! Its good as a limerick, its kinda satirical and pokes fun at America! Honestly I really liked it so if it were longer i would like that. Unless limericks arent supposed to be long?

on Aug. 5 2016 at 6:27 am
poetic.eyes PLATINUM, Everson, Washington

eARTh

Sorry getting your feedback to you so many days after I said I would. Great theme, full of emotion. I love the contrast brought out by repeating the statement "America home of the brave", placed next to all the unfair things America has done. One thing I feel doesn't fit too well is the line: "And gnarly surfers who ride on waves"... Good work!!!

This deserves more likes!

Realest.Feminist. BRONZE, Delmar,NY, New York

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."- Tupac Shakur

I really get it, like America treats certain people (ppl of color) differently than everyone else because of deeply rooted institutionalized racism and it isn't right. The only thing that is more terrible is how ppl are silencing the problems.