House of Cards

We are like a house of cards
Built up of things of the past
But sometimes, only memories
Aren't enough to make it last
Everyday, a card has been removed
The foundation is all that remains
If we can find the glue that once bound us
Then we'll be forever safe
But if we can't
A wind blows
And the cards will all fall down
We'll be buried in what once held us together
We'll never make it out
But if we build new memories
And find a way to make them stay
Our house of cards won't come crashing down
It'll grow higher everyday.

KeepLivingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm:
I can never seem to get poetry right but when I see a poem like this all I can think is "yes, this is just perfection." This is just, I keep re-reading it, I'm actually lost for words. Wow.

Kris_10 said...
Jun. 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm:
I can't even express to you how much i love poems with such a stong metaphor to make you think. Well done!

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:33 pm :
thanks! i love metaphors too, i think that they are fun too write (lmost like being in character!) and good to read. Some of my favorite metaphors are definately masks, mirrors, cards, and birds

WrenArrington said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm:
I like that this poem wasn't all sad or all happy--instead, it was kind of in between with the "as long as we do this, we'll be fine" aspect. I also thought the more simple vocabulary and rhyme scheme made it an easy read, and the length was good as well. One grammar tip: "everyday" is an adjective, as in "Everyday life gets boring sometimes." "Every day" refers to when you do something, as in "We go to the pool every day during the summer.&qu... (more »)

Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:25 pm :
thanks sooo much! i suck at grammer. i'll keep that in mind:)