Cologne

There once was a man who lived alone.
He went out and bought some cologne.
A friend came to visit,
But sneezed when they sniffed it,
So the man went back to using the phone.

ThatGirlWithAVoiceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:27 am:
I adore this! I find it very interesting that you mentioned you weren't aiming to include any symbolism in this piece because I found a lot in it as well. At actually reminded me of Shell Silverstein's illustration "The Thinker of Tender Thoughts". 
In my opinion the poem was about a recluse who finally built up the corrage to try to do something social but was shut down instantly by what he percived as dissaproval. I got the feeling that it represented all of our de... (more »)

taylorbugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm :
No, I think this is fantastic. Thank you so much; you're really opening my eyes. (:

nakoLaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is cute and funny, as well as unexpected. But i get a lot of symbolism out of this...was that done on purpose?

jetta.bugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm :
Haha, no. We had to write it for my LA class as an example of a limerick. Tell me, what are some symbolic things you find in it?

nakoLaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:18 am :
Well first the general idea i got behind this poem was a person trying to fit into society. Cologme itself if you think about it is very superficial and basically covers up our natural smell with something that is pleasing to smell for Most people , but it also changes it to what we want to be but know we never can ( a though girl wearing sweet and flowery perfume to appear that way etc. ) also the friend who sneezed could be the general reaction we get from people when we maybe try something n... (more »)

Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm :
Oh, please. My comments are longer. I really appreciate the feedback on this! This is really interesting; I would have never though of it. Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. It truly opened up my mind to all the things my poems could actually mean. This is amazing. Thank you so much.

Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm :
:D You are very welcome. Isn't it amazing how other people can get something totally new and different out of your poetry?! If you dont mind, i would appreciate it, if you could interprete one of my poems...im just so curious on what else it could be and mean!  thank you anyways

Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm :
Okay, I'll see what I can come up with. (: