Redemption for a Broken Man

By , Mableton, GA
Mark David Chapman
In the dark, humming the words
To “Here Comes the Sun”

IamtheshyStargirl said...

Oh wow, it settles quietly on the mind, understood or no. I love the way that haikus quiet the soul and fill the heart.

I heard you in the woods yesterday, I thought you were a crow. You were unusually loud. I tried to answer your caws, but I couldn't shape the sounds right. 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

One pleasant aspect of haikus is that they are as fulfilling to write as they are to read.

I didn't know whether or not you could understand me, as I opened my beak and let my soul spill out (splashing when it hit the air) through a caw as honest as a caw can be. I was trying to pass you a message, as I heard it from the trees, while they rustled in the wind.

Dost thou not wish to hear it?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I do wish, kind sir. Have I not already heard it? If that is so, I beg of thee to be kind enough to relay it once more. 

Aug. 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

The trees said this: Gather our leaves and eat of our fruit, for this is how you will feel the sunshine crinkle in your hands and taste the raindrops which fell from the sky long ago. By doing so, you will make the world yourself and yourself the world. What lives is living on the edge, where the light pores into the darkness. But wherever you go, that is where you are. And you are a daring star, so shine!

Like I said, I'm only passing on a message, I don't know... (more »)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

In the name of Jesus and the Christ within, amen. 

I lamented the fact that we could not drink straight from the cold mountain stream downhill from our camp, like they once used to, as near in the past as the eighties, I am told by my mom. 

I feel your words, and the words of the ancients, and the words in my heart in what you have said. 

Pity. What a great thrill it would have been to do so! 'Specially since you were in the mountains, where the spirits are in everything. Perhaps there will come another day when one can drink from it, however.

Just passing on a message, dear. ;)

Aderes18 said...
Good, strong haiku. Like it! :)

Thank you! I wanted to write something about Mark David Chapman, and how sad is story was; and I thought it came across best in a haiku.

Aderes18 replied...
Who's Mark David Chapman?

Ah, kinda have to know that to get the poem. :)

He's the guy who shot John Lennon. He had a quite few mental issues and a sad life, and that's why I hope that he "dreams of deliverance."

Aderes18 replied...

That makes sense now.

How ironic that he killed John Lennon(because he was a huge fan of his)

I really like The Beatles. I'm a big fan of them. :)

Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

Good. :)

I like the Beatles as well, especially their later music.

Aderes18 replied...

By the way, I just published my first haiku on Teen Ink.

(You know how long it takes to get it posted here though)

Oh, I look forward to reading it!

I know! It's taken one of mine forever to get posted, and it's really starting to irk me.