You're Smart But This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

98, written,
On your Pre-Calc test. You curse
Off those last two points.

His low GPA
Your arrogant grin. “Oh, he's
One of the dumb ones.”

I see you punching
Numbers in calculators
Wounds in people's hearts

Athena19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can totally relate! I had a friend like this, who was always too busy for friends, and it can be really exasperating!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:45 am
It's a good piece really , but I agree with nana79music91, some smart are so caring that they make it their goal to help others out as much as they can..I have a friend who helped all her other friends, she solves like ten or more people's study problems...I try to do that too,..she's too perfect though..It's hard to be like her.. But I sure do like the poem! Congratulations for gettin it published!

nana79music91 said...
I agree yet disagree, if that makes any sense... I agree that friends can be more important than grades, at times. But I dissagree because not all smart people are as oblivious or snooty as he is. I am smart and have friends, not a lot mind you, but still... I am quite reserved so its hard for me to make new friends, but this poem makes me wonder if other people think I'm snooty or just shy...  

yemkae said...
i disagreev because feiends come and go but your education will always be there, and when people see how educated you are they wiil respect you and want to becme your frends  

iMurder-SaltPoisonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 1:02 am
I kinda disagree, I'm a quite very quiet person...  Girls just giggle and play around all throughout class, I've never spoke 2 niether of them. Even tho I try 2 be freindly people push me away, I've been going 2 classes for 2 years now. And the last time I've tried 2 be freindly and shoke thier hands, I totally regret it even tho I know it's a bad thing. Knowlege beats Freindship... In my mind no1's born 2 be loved no1's born 2 be hated... I've only had 1 best friend during my Whole life, s... (more »)

GreaterUnknown said...
This poem generalizes "smarter" people as arrogant. Sure, I agree that good grades doesn't always mean that you are smart, but not all "smart" people are snotty like that.

umadbro said...
I don't get it.

iMurder-SaltPoisonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 1:04 am
Niether did I , It's saying that friendship is more important that Studying...

Alyssa897 said...
good way to express you'r anger toward bad grades!

JayClay2 said...
Deep and amazing but really true. I really like it. :)

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:24 am
This is really true. You capture that concept perfectly . . . A person's value in society shouldn't depend on their grades.

Wildflower30 said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 3:57 am
This is really amazing.

IamtheshyStargirl said...
I really like this.

mgraves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful! This is how I always felt about arrogant honors students in high school. I never had the guts to say that they live in their own little worlds that seclude those who don't have perfect GPAs. I had a lot of things going on in my personal life in high school and my GPA suffered, but people don't realize that grades don't always reflect on a person's intelligence. Thank you for shining the light on this misconception in such a simple and elegant manner!

Nevah said...
This is beautifully written. I espicially liked how the stanzaas are haikus. I thought this was put together quite nicely. Great job!

dylanlalala said...

I read this haiku, and at first I didn't understand, because I think I'm that girl. I didn't realize that others felt this way... 

Anyway, beautiful poem.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 8:13 am
i had to read this quite a few times to understand the basic meaning, but once i finally got it it was okay.

TheOcherousRodentia said...
I love this poem because i completely relate, i know a girl shes really smart, and she competes with me with work, and she basically doesnt have friends, doesnt know how to receive friends cant keep one, and i`m gogin to show her this poem, because sadly, i`m her competetion and I her closest friend, even though i dislike i dont hate her, i fele sorry for her, and she really needs friendshp, she doesnt even under love herself, she`d rather chose arranged marriage so she could study more, her who... (more »)

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is very nice captain. very nice. 5 stars.

KonyaB!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I LOVE IT. There are a lot of those kids who think they are all that because they are so smart. It's annoying. Uggh.

You're from Edison? Cool, same here!! What school do you go to? (I might know you....ah, that would be weird and awesome at the same time). lol :D