I am me | Teen Ink

I am me

March 24, 2018
By LovelyRoses BRONZE, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
LovelyRoses BRONZE, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am quiet and timid, my heart races mildly when I speak.
I wonder if I will ever come out of my shell one day.
I hear people say I am rude to them because I shan’t speak my mind to them or don’t appear to be listening to what they feel they should say,
I see people who understand my struggles and offer me their dime for knowledge and advice for which they help me and supervise.
I am quiet and timid, my heart races mildly when I speak.
I feel maudlin and awkward that people misunderstand me,
I know one day I too will learn to be extroverted just like they do, chatting the day away with little care or mind to be found.
I worry perhaps my day for social redemption will not come,
I hope I will have just as much fun being talkative and outgoing just as I am being quiet and introverted.
I am quiet and timid, my heart races mildly when I speak.
I understand not everyone will like what I have to say,
I say “If I showed you my world you would understand where I come from too.”
I try to show them how and why I became so shy and quiet; a mouse speaks more than me, the flowers bloom faster than me when I speak.
I promise myself to wait for my shyness to end, for the day when the shy dull grey clouds to fade.
I want to be remembered for my kindness and intellectual charm, the garden spread of knowledge I have offered were plenty and many.
I am quiet and timid, my heart races mildly when I speak.


The author's comments:

I made I am based on my severe social anxiety and I hope other people realize it's okay to be shy and introverted. There's nothing wrong with it or you.