School is Difficult

By JamesStory GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland
JamesStory GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

"It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way." -Ernest Hemingway

School is difficult

They don’t let you talk, if you don’t get good grades you’ll come home and sulk
School is difficult
Write 8 hours a day and what do you say? I don’t get any more time in my day!
School is difficult
They don’t care ‘bout your emotions just care ‘bout your promotions and grades I say
School is difficult
And now I got to say, how are you today? Because I’m not fine cause school is like a porcupine
With all those grades, and too many A’s they make your mind numb they don’t let you even chew gum
School is difficult.

I wanted to make this free verse poem to address the problems with our schooling systems today. It is not my job to tell you it is acceptable to drop out of school, or think it's acceptable to not do your work. This was just a propositon and to just in fact, this is amazing, to quote Prince Ea, "Teachers should make just as much as doctors. Because a doctor can do heart sergery to save the life of a kid, but a great teacher can reach the heart of that kid and allow him to truly live." 

~James

on Feb. 23 at 4:39 pm
JamesStory GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

This was also the first time I had used TeenInk so I am pretty sure I had no clue what I doing. That is why it was bold but thank you for the tip to not use bold anymore :D

on Feb. 23 at 4:38 pm
JamesStory GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback! I have been writing my novel so didn't have time to reply :D Thanks again!

on Feb. 22 at 9:17 pm
bo_olsen PLATINUM, St George, Utah

"I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good"

Okay, so this is my opinion: First, the all bolded text makes it hard to read. Second, I like your poem. It's funny, with the rhyme between "fine" and "porcupine."

on Feb. 21 at 2:00 pm
JamesStory GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

@Mag;) Thank you for the feedback!

on Feb. 21 at 1:21 pm
MaddieGrizz SILVER, Lake Isabella, California

Even though I walk through the darkest valley I will fear no evil. Psalm 23:4, For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you, not harm you plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

That is true I love the authors comment too! It is powerful!

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!