l.o.g.s. | Teen Ink

l.o.g.s.

April 7, 2017
By Hahnbie BRONZE, Harrison, New York
Hahnbie BRONZE, Harrison, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We’re all logs here
L
O
G
S
All that binds us logs, no, people,
P
E
O
P
L
E
together
Is that word “log.” The experimenters borrowed my wife.
my
W
I
F
E
The room is
D
A
R
K
It reeks of chemicals
and newborns
and experimenters
It reeks of
L
O
G
S
how beautiful
U
N
I
T
7
31
must
have been
to
Americans


The author's comments:

Initially starting off as an emulation of In Response to Executive Order 9066 by Dwight Okita, l.o.g.s. deviated from that structure completely and now the only thing it shares with the poem it was based off of is the fact that they are both inspired by a historical event. The event I have chosen to write about was Unit 731, which was a gruesome series of biological and chemical warfare experiments used by the Japanese military during the early 1900’s. In the poem, I wrote from the perspective of a man who was one of the test subjects of the experiments. The term "log" played an important role in this poem because the establishment in which the experiments took place was disguised as a log factory and the test subjects were referred to as "maruta," the Japanese word for "log," by the experimentors. I chose to use a structure that broke words up letter by letter to place emphasis on certain words over others. The reason I chose to include this particular piece in my portfolio was that I saw this poem as quite an emotional one when considering what it is written about. I hoped to make the readers understand that no matter how much awareness and information gets spread, sometimes justice cannot be served.