it is snowing outside MAG

By iris.k0914 BRONZE, Seoul, Other
iris.k0914 BRONZE, Seoul, Other

it is five in the morning and i have decided
to watch the sun come up
the night has been a blur of instagram and elementary season two and
“am i depressed” quiz
i have learned that the popsicle diet is a 100% real thing that people do, and that carly has a new piercing and a new boyfriend, and that i may have sociopathic tendencies
but i can’t stop thinking about the movie we watched today during spanish class, and the scene where a soldier’s mouth is sliced open so that his entire left cheek is split apart
i can’t help but wonder where we humans
get our self-preservation from
we like to believe that we are superior to animals when in reality all that separates us is a haircut and some s***ty morals
but yesterday i called may a b**** and she hugged me and told me i was going to be okay, and i have counted how many times i’ve referred to myself so far (eleven times)
responsibility makes me want to scream and tear my mattress apart and drop a globe on top of my head but karma is karma is karma and “you’ve got to get into a good college, iris” so i do my work
it’s a shame there’s no more wallowing
in self pity
and sylvia, i used to think that your poems were beautiful but dying is not beautiful and your skin is far from a walking miracle you were a walking tragedy before you stuck your head inside that oven
there are children starving in africa – no, really – and families are forced to give up their dreams just because they wear hijabs and worship a different god, and florida is being submerged under dead ice caps but according to our president, global warming is a chinese hoax
and i don’t know what it is but i do know
i am trying to say something
our children may not ever know snow

i love this !

on Jan. 4 at 10:18 am
fragmentaations DIAMOND, Middleburgh, New York

“You write beautifully. The inside of your mind must be a terrible place.”

this spoke to the core of my soul. you took your thoughts and elevated them into such a beautiful poem... thank you so much for sharing this.

This is great. Excellent. I love it.

on Apr. 12 2017 at 7:29 pm
addictwithapen PLATINUM, Chesapeake, Virginia

"I'm at it again as an addict with a pen." - twenty one pilots, addict with a pen

This is great. Excellent. I love it. It’s raw and honest and piercing. The only criticism I have is trivial: when you separate “no, really” from the surrounding sentence, you should use em dashes instead of hyphens. (You can get the em dash by pressing ALT0151 if you’re on Windows.) Keep writing!

on Apr. 2 2017 at 1:12 pm
HereSheIs BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato

AMAZING. Sounds like something that you could publish in the New Yorker. Dark, true, relatable thoughts that flow like someone's mind, and beautiful wording and line breaks

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!