Mermaid Blues This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I only went there once.
During the hours,
when I would sit on the burning cement,
dipping my toes in chlorine.
My body would lean closer
to the edge of the deep end,
where she told me there were mermaids.
I wanted to see them.
The turquoise scales and cascading hair.
The bubbles spewing from their mouths.
But I leaned too far in.
They pulled me
into the twelve-foot deep.
I think they forgot that I couldn’t swim.
Not yet.
No matter how much I wanted to,
so
so
badly,
I couldn’t flick my legs,
and fly through crystal liquid.
But….
I swear that she smiled back at me.
The one with rubies decking her tail.
How could I know, anyway?
My eyes were trapped with the sting of pool water,
in the pit of the deep-end.

QuillilyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2016 at 11:39 am
If you want, you can check out Inkscintillian, which is my sister's blog. It's full of mermaids and other beautiful work. (Thanks for checking out my piece)

Jun. 14, 2016 at 11:37 am
I have actually watched H2O with my cousins, but this piece mostly sparked from my artist sister, who is in love with mermaids, and my grandmother who lives in the magical mermaidville (Florida.) Thus, the line "Where she told me there were mermaids."

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Did you ever read "The Tail of Emily Windsnap" or watch "H2O"? I was obsessed with mermaids as a little kid, and this poem reminded me of fond memories and stories.