The Aftermath | Teen Ink

The Aftermath

By kandace_c1 BRONZE, Parma, Ohio
kandace_c1 BRONZE, Parma, Ohio

you don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world
but you do get to choose who hurts you

The storm of missiles came so abruptly and sudden that no one knew how to prepare for the aftermath of the storm that raged earlier this morning. We were all startled by the sounds of the jets roaring above and the missiles and then it was all but silent.

When I woke up, I felt something wet on the top of my head, at first I thought it was water from the pipelines that had burst but my mind changed as I saw a dark red liquid on my two fingers. My mind was racing, filling up with the extreme possibilities of what I am looking at as the fires continue to spread, families screaming and mourning the lose of their children and loved ones, and houses nothing but foundation and concrete.

As all of this was going on the only thing important right at that moment was for me to find my family; my mother, my husband, and my daughter. My mother was at my childhood home when the storm raged and my husband was at the hospital with our sick daughter as she was getting treatment. I headed the home first. As I walked I stepped down on picture frames and important papers and sadly came across many burned victims that I could not help, as they were already gone but I continue walking. I reach the lot that my home was once on but all that was left was concrete and rubble.

My heart had stopped when I saw my mother, the person who always kissed me goodnight, the woman who stood next to my bridesmaids in tears at my wedding, the woman who helped me more then I can count, had a 2 by 4 foundation post in her chest. The grief and mourning moved to my heart and my head as I collapsed on to the ground among the rubble.

My mother was one of the most important people to me and now she is gone, just like that the people you love can just leave in an instant. Hold on to the ones you love.

After lossing my grandfather and my close friend i really fell into a deep hole but writing helped me recover. I decided to write this peice because it gave me room to show everyine that people can come and go so quickly so hold on to the ones you love.