Where I'm From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I’m from lemons in a wheelbarrow,
From wind-lashed cheeks.
I am from cactus coolers (yellow and orange that soothe the throat),
I am from the dumpster.
The albino rabbit that lurks,
A crunching sound of gravel and bone.

I am from papayas we picked that morning,
From Cosmo Kramer.
I’m from flying down the road,
From yes.
I’m from sticks and rocks,
From no.

I’m from the bayliner,
From Rupert.
From Good Samaritan, where I learned true
Sorrow and despair.
At the top there is light,
A need to earn trust, a need to impress.

cutestuff said...

ive written one of these too. but mine was not even close to as good as yours. you can really picture it.

good job :D

peregrinefalcon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Wow nice job. Beautiful poem. Idaho's a grand old state. ;)

BMC601 said...
I had this assignment in eighth grade. Mine was no where as good as this one, I can relate because I am from an extremely small town; make the poem longer I want more. 

blf496 said...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 7:45 am
i really like the poetic views that you have showed me. it really makes me feel how fortunate i am to live in this type of environment. it shows me that i am thankful for all the right moves i made in all the right places. and oh yea they're coming now

LibbyGayle said...
Oct. 18, 2010 at 10:11 am
Ha. I had the same assignment last year. Mine wasn't this in depth, but it was similar.

Maxinkuna said...
I got this same assinment from my teacher my freshman year of high school

justwannabeme said...

oh my gosh. i wrote a poem like that in english class. haha. it was fun. and i liked it a lot. :)

SamJP said...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 8:32 am
Wow. This was good. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

demetria said...
i like the blend of words but the purpose isn't clear....okay you are from these things/places but so what? what's so great about it? give it PURPOSE!

bandagedisappear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:55 am

demetria, why don't you tell that to George Ella Lyon, the woman who inspired this poem?

http://www.georgeellalyon.com/where.html

lilyxoxo said...
omg i had this same assingment!!!

celloizmylife said...
Jeez, does every English teacher give this assignment? 2 of my English teachers gave this assignment, and I had to write it differently both times.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 10:58 am
I've never been assigned anything like this. I wish my Language Arts cirriculum would do ANYTHING with poetry besides studying the difference between similies and metaphors.

celloizmylife replied...
ouch. that sounds pretty suckish. sorry. In my area the education is pretty developed. As much as I can't stand my TAG Language Arts teacher, I'd rather have her class than yours. Maybe it'll be better for you a different year.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 11:01 am
the comments section of this site is meant for constructive critisism and praise on our fellow writers' artistic expression, not random words and letters that jam up the comment boxes and disregard the actual peice of work.

alisaysroar said...
I've done this exercise before in my English course. It is a very clever way of portraying oneself. You've done a nice job :)

PurpleMelody said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 11:53 am
This ia a good poem, but I don't feel like I fully understand who u are. It seems as though your just explaining things youv'e done.

demetria replied...
good critisism. thanx for not kissing butt like some other people.!!:)

PurpleMelody replied...
No prob :D

abcisagirlygirl said...
this made my cry it was really good

ballergurl1313 replied...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 10:51 am
it wasn't good enought to make someone cry it was good but not that good.