Age is merely a number | Teen Ink

Age is merely a number

July 19, 2015
By StarlightKitten BRONZE, Calgary, Other
StarlightKitten BRONZE, Calgary, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's okay to not be okay


They say when you’re young, you’re clueless of life itself. The world that you drag yourself along through each day, with the air you trap inside your lungs, is merely a tiny piece of what is to come. The years spent in buildings filled with other juvenile beings; to soak up knowledge of what we view to be important, is apparently nothing compared to the challenges later brought on. Once you escape the walls in which drown you in years of subjects, and we will forget most of what was taught, timed souls will be released into the maze we call adult hood. In the end, we will be trapped through ongoing days, played as a broken record to never be fixed.
The adolescent are viewed as unknowing creatures. That if every event to occur, is nothing but a small crack in such a large platform given by god. But really, this whole world could be an error, created into something much larger then what it was mistakenly made out to be. Stories of god could be books of fiction, written for a father’s child, to be able to cross paths with the stars and moon when dusk falls. These stories in which created a religion quite possibly could serve as comfort for unspoken answers. But these are all a 50-50 chance to whether or not it be true.
But let me ask you, what do you know to be true? You know what you’ve lived. No matter the number of days you rest your soul on this world, we have all experienced pains and joy to an extent that varies. Some carry the reaper on their shoulders, while others carry nothing but a slight misfortune; though we have all lived through experiences that may not be a clone to another, no matter the age. So tell me, why do we factor the amount of time given to our souls, into the amount of knowledge one has?
Age is merely but the time given to us to state our existence, but not to measure the knowledge one has. The amount of understanding a person has for the world is brought upon with experience through numerous events. For age to be measured in the same scale is simpleminded. We have to remember that knowledge is not just what education is brought to us, but personal events following one’s life. You may argue and say that the elderly carry more understanding due to the fact they have lived through more experiences. But you can’t tell me you know that all of these beings carry more heartbreaking and unruly life events then those of the adolescence. Everyone lives different lives. Some carry eternal despondency, while others escaped black holes of tragedy. These are all brought on by the person, no matter the age given.
I am not saying the young carry more knowledge; not by any means. But what I am saying is that we need to stop defining how smart one is by the amount of seconds you are gifted on this planet. Age is but a number and it is unreasonable how we define it for every situation given.