I love us. | Teen Ink

I love us.

By akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida

It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
~ J. K. Rowling

I love us.
I love you, but it's really our relationship that I'm in love with.
I love the way you're the first person I text in the morning and as soon as you wake up you reply without hesitation.
I love how we spend every moment with each other in the back (sometimes front) of our minds.
I love that despite the miles that separate us, I've never felt closer to anyone.
I love the way we never actually say goodbye, I just fall asleep and you say "goodnight baby girl," which is the first thing I see in the morning.
I love that we see each other once a year but it feels like we're together every single day.
I love your silly faces and that even when I'm exhausted and plain, you still think I'm beautiful.
I love our deep late night conversations when we could solve the world's problems with our combined wit.
I love the precious moments we do get to actually spend together–full of laughter, smiling uncontrollably, cuddling (and Netflix, of course).
I love that even though you don't live here, you know me ten times better than anyone who does.
I love how we're exes but we both know that if I'd never moved we'd still be together.
I love that we talk about being together like we already are; if only we weren't living in different worlds.
I love being able to talk to you about anything and everything (and you and I both know that I do) because you never judge me and you're always honest.
I love how when we're together, we feel infinite.
I love that even when we're not together, we close the gap between us by arguing obnoxiously about who loves the other more.
I love how we miss each other so much we feel the need to establish that at least once a day.
I love being your past girlfriend, current best friend, and future (insert whatever you feel here).
I love giving you relationship advice and not feeling awkward because I know you'll still love me no matter what.
I love that you insist I'm prettier without all the makeup, and although I don't admit it, that makes me smile wider than any empty comment about how "gorgeous" I look with all the makeup.
I love the idea of being with you, and every day I marvel in how great it would feel to have you hold me in your arms.
I love the way we look together; so different, yet so similar–I guess it's how much we love each other that makes us fit together like a puzzle.
I love how you see me at my best and worst and love me the same.
I love the days when we both sit at home–lonely, sad, and desperate for each other's comfort–and we can bond over our mutual desire to be together.
I love that despite being in the craziness of high school, neither of us has ever fallen for anyone else.
I love how you look at me when we're together, like everything you've ever uttered to me in a single gaze–it's mesmerizing.
I love laying with you and just feeling how perfectly your hand fits with mine.
I love you, but also...
I love us.

I wrote this about a guy I dated in middle school and still love to this day. I sent him this poem and he was in tears... he insisted I publish it somewhere. I hope this inspires people in long distance relationships to keep going, because one day it'll all be worth it.