The Moon's Idea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

the white freckles
on night’s face,
speckle across.
or are the freckles
red and blue too?
(because if stars can be
red and blue,
why can’t freckles too?)
the moon leans back
and puts his feet up;
his bright, white toenail
right into night’s features.
or is that Chester smiling?
(the moon looks like
it could be a toenail
or Chester’s secret smile.)
something between
a smile and a frown
was sent toward the moon
for putting his bare feet up.
and right into my face, moon!
(night and moon,
they like to bicker so,
but they still love each other.)
oh, dear moon, ha ha.
you should have known
that night would have
raised such a fuss,
when you put your feet up.
(don’t frown at me
like it was my idea
in the first place; it was yours.)
all of this happening,
right in front of me
as I hear the lonely,
loud howls of one coyote
and the night-birds sing.
(it was the moon’s idea, night!
I swear it wasn’t mine.
No, night! Not that kind of swearing!
moon, don’t you dare run away,
you come back right now!
it was your idea in the first place!)

21bmaliziaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6 at 9:08 am
This is beautiful!!! You have a talent. I love the simple but descriptive way you wrote it. Great job!!!!

guard-girl said...
I love this! It's so descriptive, and it's awesome that you gave the moon and night personalities! I have never thought about the moon as someone kicking back and showing their feet to the sky; That's super unique! This totally deserved to be published! :)

EmilytheBelleofA. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
@guard-girl, thank you. I just seem to like to give personalities to things that people would never consider, haha. But thank you again, guard-girl - your words, they mean a lot to me. :)

Guise said...
Goodness, that was fun and playful! Loved it! Congratulations on getting published :)

Dec. 20, 2015 at 12:51 am
Oh, goodness. I am so sorry that my reply is so late. I actually did not know that this was published until a certain time ago, but I have a copy of the November Teen Ink Magazine and I saw that it was true that I was published. :) Thank you very much for your comment and kind words. :)

Trin_Freckles said...
Ive always loved your work, i wish i could write this well

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you, @Trin_Freckles. :) That means a lot. :) You're an amazing and talented writer. I've read some of your works before. :)

Hanban12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
First of all, congrats on the Editor's Choice, Emily! I'm so glad you're getting recognized for your amazing work :) I really like how you placed the dialogue in the poem in parentheses, it gives off the feeling that the reader is reading something they're not supposed to, like an inside secret revealing the true characters of Moon and Night haha. All in all, this piece is very creative and unique, which I love. Great job, and keep writing! :)

Oh, my applesauce. I'm so sorry this reply is so late. :( Thank you so much, @Hanban12 . :) It means a lot. :)

Bless_survivor13 said...
Apr. 7, 2015 at 9:14 am
good job with this moon idea

@Bless_survivor13, thank you. (:

ScarlettJ. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
@MissEmilyDickinson this is amazing! You are so creative, truly. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

@ScarlettJ. , I thank you! :) Your comment means a lot to me and has encouraged me so, so I truly thank you. :)

JRaye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2, 2015 at 11:54 am
I've never read something simultaneously amazing/well-written AND adorable! I love everything about this, it flowed so well, was so random, I love it! :D

I am so glad you enjoyed and love it. This makes me happy and rather shocked, haha. :) I did not realize that my poem was good. I thank you so much for your encouraging words and for commenting, it means a lot to me. I thank you again! :)