All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Dreamer4EVER said...
today at 9:55 pm
Incredible work; Although it made me cry and sadly I can totally relate.

MahalabelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 17, 2015 at 10:57 am
I feel the exact same way.

ImaginationIsImportantThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
its a great poem :) i could really relate to it except for the $50 thing...but i understand how u feel...and we can actually be friends :)

TamieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good. I hope this published in the mag.

MADDOThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 27, 2015 at 6:22 am
Its really beautiful... i loved it... i could relate your poem with mine.. great talent.. goodluck:)

XOXONANIThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
love this great work

SilverInkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can relate to this.................gr8 work!!!!!

Kelsey A. said...
May 26, 2015 at 12:55 am
I personally found it very deep and meaningful, especially since I can relate in a sort of way. Please share more!

luisavq said...
May 22, 2015 at 2:40 am
The short verses really make it seem like it's someone thinking which i think is what the writer was trying to do. It is simple yet deep and does touch on society's expectations to do well in school but there being too large of a price to play in order to get all A's.

alisha13344 said...
this is very touching

Love_N_LoyaltyyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 7, 2015 at 9:15 am
this is touching. (':

DeviousRiverz said...
I love your poem but I just feel like you could be conveying more emotion through it.....

shwnwdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You've got a really talent for poetry, kid. I think you'll be fine. And I hope you like who you are. Don't let those kids get you down. Just keep being yourself and people will like you. Just keep shining, like the star you are.

Vriska said...
This sounds like my life. I totally know how you feel.

Iamwhoiam16 said...
Mar. 19, 2015 at 6:01 am
I really love the way it was written! :) Great job!

TheBellroseFairy said...
The sentiment shines through, but your line break is all over the place. A true poem sounds as well as it looks on paper. In poetry, or any form of writing for that matter, you must always write out numbers instead of simply typing them. This poem needs more descriptive language, which is a fancy way of saying you need to show and not tell. Most likely, this comment will be buried underneath all the others, but hopefully it reaches you.

beAWESOMEstayAWESOMEThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loooooooooove this poem soooooooooooo much. #talented *thumbs up*.BTW if i ever met you i would definitely be your friend, but sadly we on't go to the same school:(. ANYWAYS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! KEEP WRITING!

PaigeByPageThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I absolutely love this! It reminds me of my best friend who is an introvert. Maybe I myself cannot relate but I adore poems that give an inside look on what it is like to be someone else. Very beautiful.

KayRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this poem! I relate to it and I know the feeling

Ana143 said...
That was AMAZING!!! this poem really hits home for me. cause all i wanted was a friend. I love it!