All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Sunny225LuvsHugs said...
ill be ur friends...........

abe12345 said...
hi everyone 

Wedod2 said...
PAM ANDERSON!!! WHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

JoyMasonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Everyone needs at least one good friend, but being me, I don't have one that sticks by me till the end. I, like you, love to read, but I also like to write stuff like poems and novels and, really, the characters that I write about are the only dependable friends that I have so, I guess that you can say that, I understand. At an early age, I was taught that it's every girl for herself.

Rhiannon6134 replied...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:46 am
I can kind of relate too. I write ALOT. Poems songs novels all kinds of things. And the reason I do it is because I can loose myself in the plot and its almost like I am who I'm who I'm writing about

Carema said...
so true not matter what people have, money, clothes anything the most important thing everyone needs is a friend. love it !

awesome_me said...
this is awesome i am going to show everyone

digyBritt said...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:53 am
So good because I feel like everyone  has felt at least a little like that at some point in their life. Like they didn't fit in.  And I just jumped right into his skin. Great poem.

Bubbs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love the descriptions. Im sure everyone who has read this will now want to be your friend because you are one hell of a poet! Awesome x

Bonnie T. said...
wow i really like this and can really relate. keep up the good work

Obey_Twin14 said...
i really like this piece it was very moving

Maryam1996 said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:41 am
GREAT JOB!! KEEP IT UP!!

Iyaya said...
yeah i agree evryone needs someone...like it or not

raymondpaul said...
this is a good poem  

Edith T. said...
I liked this! It kind of explains what I feel like sometimes.

VeggieLoverForever said...
Wow, I wrote something simaller to this just two weeks ago. It's funny, I feel almost spoiled because, like you, I have everything someone less fortunate might desire- a familly, a house, etc. I do so much, and have so much fun in life. But, like you, all I crave is a friend. What  I really want, is a friend, with whom I can make memories, and have fun, and have adventures outside of the classroom. Like you, I am also an avid reader, and all the librarians at my  school and public ... (more »)

AlmostPublished said...
You have such an amazing talent, and so freely expressed, it does not seem that your looking for empathy or advice like others, your just doing what you do so naturally and greatly!

ktopakian15 said...
this poem is quite amazing, I would love if you'd check out my poem and tell me what you think, you have undeniable talent- kaitlyn

ItzStar said...
Wow! I can have total empathy for you, I know what its like to not have a friend, if you go to my page, I have a poem on artificial friends... you should check it out i would love to hear your expertise on my work being that you are soooo talented!

RedFeather said...
Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:46 am
This is a very touching piece of work that I (and alot of people on this site) can relate to. It's not surprising that this is one of the most popular poems on this site :) If you have some extra time, please check out some of my poems and leave a comment :D