All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

inktouch said...
I'll be a friend! ^_^ But, seriously, ur rich.... uv the poem, its not everyday i c a guy writing a poem this good
Valkyrie_123 said...
i think this is the most heart warming piece of poetry i have every read
myworld15 said...
Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:35 am
wow that was really great. i so understand the book parts. The workers at my libary know me very well too. Books are the carriers of civilization.
Kiersten.p.o said...
hey! um, people like to comment much? LOL! any ways, your poem is absolutley amazing!! even though its not about you, i understand completly. i can't compete with 4 books a day, but i can read 2 and then maybe half of a book. as soon as i read this poem, i could totally relate. beeing the bookworm, nerdy type is sum times not the easiest spot to filll but sum 1 needs to fill it up!! and i think you got the emotion just rite. i luv your wording thoughts.
sorry 4 the mumble jumble of me b... (more »)
momoney25 said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:16 am
You all are great. The interesting part about this poem is that it doesn't relate to my personality style at all. In fact, I resemble the complete opposite.

The reason I can relate to this poem so well is because I am the guy who extends a hand to someone who needs a friend. Still, all your comments are very heart felt and appreciated.
kionna C. said...
i have friends but they still dont really feel like the friends i want!
but dont worry, you'll get your friends. Maybe you'll meet someone at the library one day
nxexnxaxj said...
this is a lot of feelin, i def. can relate, 2 yrs back i was the same way, but u have 2 put yourself out dere
great piece hunn =]
Kit-Kat said...
I know there are soo many comments on here you may not see this, but I hope you do. Great job, is all I can say, but still... my gratitude cannot be expressed in one comment! lol. I suffer like that constantly, and it is nice to see AMAZING authors-to-be like you put there skills to use in the right way!
bookwormdg said...
Love this!!!!! Everyone is mean to me just the same. I understand that if i say "i know wat ure going through", then i'll be just like everyone else. I've been there done that. Kids make fun of me,
Olympians said...
that was a great poem. I would def. be your friend. Just be like me don't care what people think of you. It's life everyone goes threw good and bad times. and Some people will regret not being your friend one day:]
birdie said...
that was great, heres my advice try telling those people that if they dont like the way you look then they shouldnt look at you.if people are your freinds they wont care about the outside,its the inside that counts.
Alyssa said...
wow very good poem!
RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2009 at 3:44 am
Oh my goodness! How many comments are there? It took a while to scroll down here. Well I love your poem so much! I love it's own personal style and I just really like it! CHEESE!(means hi with my friends and I) :)
jasper's_gf said...
May 24, 2009 at 2:34 am
i unerstand just what ur going thu
DinosoarJen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'll be your friend. :]

Loved this btw. You're better than them.
Megan W. said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:37 am
I'll be friend (LOL)!! But I really do feel the authors pain for many years I was an outsider but I started to fit into my personality !! My friends are so supportive of my choices!! I learned that it is not all about your looks!! Just be you!! You did awsome .... Friend
Twilightnme said...
May 21, 2009 at 3:52 am
WOW! you must have lots of fans. I read a lot too. I really enjoyed your poem. I was engulfed. I like the way you write... Kind of expressant, or resemblant in a way. Im amazed... I truly am.
alayapoetgirl said...
You are brave for expressing yourself on such a subject. I admire you as a person and a poet...
snc947 said...
Yeah, I know how you feel. I read ALOT. As much as you. I've never met or written a person who has read as much as me. 600 pages a day sounds like a lot. I guess it is. I totally get your perspective.
Eyesmin Y. said...
As i finished reading your poem, I happen to scroll down to see the comments. Who said you don't have friends? Read these comments; I'm sure a smile will appear in your face :)
P.s. Great poem