All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Sarah B. said...
great touching poem

AbbaDabbaDoo said...
A relatable and moving piece. With writing like this, I'll be your friend.

Sunny225LuvsHugsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:00 am:
i kno exactly how you feel

Heyworld said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:37 am:
Money cant buy ever thing i get it

Brandon M. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm:
Great job!

poetrystarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm:
This was really good it kinda tells how i feel sometimes

Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm:
ill be ur friends...........

abe12345 said...
Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm:
hi everyone 

Wedod2 said...
Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm:
PAM ANDERSON!!! WHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

JoyMasonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm:
Everyone needs at least one good friend, but being me, I don't have one that sticks by me till the end. I, like you, love to read, but I also like to write stuff like poems and novels and, really, the characters that I write about are the only dependable friends that I have so, I guess that you can say that, I understand. At an early age, I was taught that it's every girl for herself.

Rhiannon6134 replied...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:46 am :
I can kind of relate too. I write ALOT. Poems songs novels all kinds of things. And the reason I do it is because I can loose myself in the plot and its almost like I am who I'm who I'm writing about

Carema said...
Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm:
so true not matter what people have, money, clothes anything the most important thing everyone needs is a friend. love it !

awesome_me said...
Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm:
this is awesome i am going to show everyone

digyBritt said...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:53 am:
So good because I feel like everyone  has felt at least a little like that at some point in their life. Like they didn't fit in.  And I just jumped right into his skin. Great poem.

Bubbs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm:
Love the descriptions. Im sure everyone who has read this will now want to be your friend because you are one hell of a poet! Awesome x

Bonnie T. said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm:
wow i really like this and can really relate. keep up the good work

Obey_Twin14 said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm:
i really like this piece it was very moving

Maryam1996 said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:41 am:
GREAT JOB!! KEEP IT UP!!

IyayaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm:
yeah i agree evryone needs someone...like it or not

raymondpaulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:37 pm:
this is a good poem  

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_a6jel6dped5ef5uu82lcq0mh26, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0