All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

francinejar said...
wow this hits home all i do is read i could be really social but i choose not to idk y sometimes i want a friend but mainly i want someone who can intellectually stimulate me. so far i am 17 and haven't met one. we'll find our compatible people one day we'll just need to be patient. i too read numerous books a day

Pa S. said...
i am nice to everyone, and judge people by the content of their character. i don't look at someone and say, "nope, i will never hang with them". its just not right. my football and sports buddies might, but i don't. thumbs up and butts down on the poem. a real eye-opener.

BMMSJB said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 10:38 am
I can relate to this COMPLETELY, no I don't use designer clothes but yes.

JordanBallew replied...
yep I can to

bmmsKp said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 10:34 am
this is great and i can relate to it very much but idk y im like this but its fine with me

amira said...
i can completely relate..this is really brilliant:)

lostnhim said...
I really enjoyed this poem. It is really down to earth, And i know how you feel. I can relate. If you ever need someone to talk to you can write me if youd like. Keep writing, your good!

Toree K. said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 11:05 am
i loved your poem i kinda know how you feel all people want to do is be someone that other people like the person that we are inside is who we are it dosnt matter the type of clothing or designer that we wear its the person under the clothes that we need to take care of even when we feel as if we have know friends i really enjoyed your poem i even have one on the website tell me what you think
1999...

Payton said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 am
wow this really touched me. you should read some of my poems and see what you think and if you need someone to talk to you can write me anytime.

***3Lli3*** said...
wow this is really good.! I have a lot of poems that are like this please check them out and tell me how u like them.! :)

Rob B. said...
Yo, you got some talent mt frined. I am not the biggest fan of poetry but this really mad me interested. Keep writing youll get far in life! GREAT JOB! :]

celticreader said...
really great for relating to people! especially those kids out there who think no one could ever be teir friend and theyre wrong cause there is always someone!

thecatscuriosity said...
This is amazing

roseann This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:21 am
i love your honesty, sometimes it feels like you need to exaggerate to get liked. but you seem to be doing alright with the many offers of friendship. :) in my hometown when ppl look at me they see the "bookworm" and the "loner". And sometimes the only way i can console myself is diving headlong into a world where i become invisible, where reality is a forgotten dream. keep it up, this poem really spoke to me.

SoulSurvivor92 replied...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 8:33 am
I like this poem. You accept who you are and you know what you want. Someone will be lucky to have you as a friend because this poems tells many things about you. Keep your head up and someone will accept and love you for yourself.

Tay-tay said...
I would be your friend you sound amazing your writting is beautiful!
I've never none a guy to write like you it moved me. x i wish you all the best with finding a friend really good luck x

lowlaa said...
Oh fooey. Is this really you? Well for starters (if this is you) try different things. Right now, or the next time your home, try making a very unique/disgusting/personal meal and eat every last bit of it. Slowly start doing more things that are out of your comfort zone, and slowly (yes slowly! Pretty flowers don't grow overnight!) you will push your limits. Thus giving you more staisfaction and fufillment in your lonesome life. And maybe, just maybe, you'll meet some special people al... (more »)

PeaveLoveMe(: said...
amazing writing skills! keep writing! <3 it! plz read mine and comment? i'd love any feedback or advice you could give me! (:

Alyssathenerd:D said...
This poem is great and it totally fits my life.