All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

***3Lli3*** said...
wow this is really good.! I have a lot of poems that are like this please check them out and tell me how u like them.! :)

Rob B. said...
Yo, you got some talent mt frined. I am not the biggest fan of poetry but this really mad me interested. Keep writing youll get far in life! GREAT JOB! :]

celticreader said...
really great for relating to people! especially those kids out there who think no one could ever be teir friend and theyre wrong cause there is always someone!

thecatscuriosity said...
This is amazing

roseann This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:21 am
i love your honesty, sometimes it feels like you need to exaggerate to get liked. but you seem to be doing alright with the many offers of friendship. :) in my hometown when ppl look at me they see the "bookworm" and the "loner". And sometimes the only way i can console myself is diving headlong into a world where i become invisible, where reality is a forgotten dream. keep it up, this poem really spoke to me.

SoulSurvivor92 replied...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 8:33 am
I like this poem. You accept who you are and you know what you want. Someone will be lucky to have you as a friend because this poems tells many things about you. Keep your head up and someone will accept and love you for yourself.

Tay-tay said...
I would be your friend you sound amazing your writting is beautiful!
I've never none a guy to write like you it moved me. x i wish you all the best with finding a friend really good luck x

lowlaa said...
Oh fooey. Is this really you? Well for starters (if this is you) try different things. Right now, or the next time your home, try making a very unique/disgusting/personal meal and eat every last bit of it. Slowly start doing more things that are out of your comfort zone, and slowly (yes slowly! Pretty flowers don't grow overnight!) you will push your limits. Thus giving you more staisfaction and fufillment in your lonesome life. And maybe, just maybe, you'll meet some special people al... (more »)

PeaveLoveMe(: said...
amazing writing skills! keep writing! <3 it! plz read mine and comment? i'd love any feedback or advice you could give me! (:

Alyssathenerd:D said...
This poem is great and it totally fits my life.

cookiemonstercutie said...
aww i love you and ill be yo fand! babygrl7609@aol .com eee-mail me ! lol btw great job on the poem its very touching

Keyakyo said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 9:35 am
I know how you feel I get made fun of all the time for reading excessivley and for my clothing styles which I admit are sometimes a little eccentric. But I also wear glasses, get good grades, and try to fit in, and it's really hard to do. I feel your pain, and I'll be your friend. By the ways, your poem is amazing!!!!

sketchgirl said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 11:05 am
i luv ur naruto pic

MusicInMyHeart<3 said...
This is so great and not just because it's well written, but also because it is relatable and I can imagine how you feel (though it's not far from how I feel sometimes). This is really great.

MusicInMyHeart<3 replied...
And I will be your friend :)

chetahgirl20 replied...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 10:42 am
AWWWWWWWW!!!!

Peace182 said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:59 am
Wonderful. =) 5 stars

GreeGree said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:18 am
WOW. You just described my life.
Love it. 5 Stars.

shan1196 said...
Wow, I am speechless. I loved it! It was great!