All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

frommusicwithloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 17, 2013 at 12:57 am:
That is really, keep bringing yourself into the work you can never go wrong, If you ever need someone I'm always here to help, take care c:

writingriver05 replied...
May 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm :
Ya me to i know whats like to be friendless for me it felt like a vast dark pit that i couldnt get out of if you ever need to someone to talk to well you know ...

Robby19 said...
May 16, 2013 at 7:48 am:
This was a really good poem ~ I'm new and will be getting new poems up ... Check out mine ?

Mikky said...
May 5, 2013 at 10:25 am:
Wow, never knew how it feels to be so alone. I mean I experienced it, but never acted upon it. I'm here for you, even if its just here

JustADreamerGirl said...
May 2, 2013 at 10:42 pm:
Hey guys, I have one new poem, and one that should be up soon. If you could check them out and rate them, that'd be great. Thanks!

naivemelody2012 said...
May 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm:
But you have all the friends you need in your books!

revelationsmirrored replied...
May 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm :
Ay but those friends don't understand you as people do. For quite often we see characters in books as perfect people, how could they understand the imperfections, even the good ones?

naivemelody2012 replied...
May 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm :
When reading Fiction, the characters' experiences, emotions, and thoughts are laid out for the reader to consume. They are just as real as the people around me, I find.

GBenOct8 said...
May 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm:
Very interesting poem. It is a bit depressing, but very true. Keep writing.

NoMercy666 said...
May 2, 2013 at 11:49 am:
I hope you're all kidding.

SimoneSimon said...
wow everyone's commenting!  but i wanna say this is wonderful (youve probs had that 1346 times now) but it was really sad.

Bookluver123 said...
just keep looking :)

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
that's pretty sad....BTW i'm new here and would love for anyone to check out my poems. Comment, rate, whtevs, i appreciate feedback!!

I_Be_Keyla said...
Nice job! This was very good!

Micky said...
this is GREAT

twentysixscribblesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:40 am:
This is a fantastically written poem, and, to me personally, very relatable. Excellent job.

seanturlan said...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:53 am:
This is a great poem and you create line speeds unlike anyone I have ever seen. However, I get this feeling of a fictitious persona or a sense of bragging almost. It is like you almost slipped it in there.

HAILOThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
My teacher printed this and had us discuss it... we all agreed it was beautiful! :) Keep up the good work!!

Sara C. said...
Very good poem!! I am new on here and would appreciate it if you could look at my poemss, thanks if you do!

Bluetooth said...
Hey, im pretty new. Please check out my work, Thanks