All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

SunbalSunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i'll be ur friend

Hi_AlisonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 7, 2013 at 2:00 am:
" All alone in reality is a scary thing I perfer to live in fantasy and dreams but somehow they end up shatterd, but all I really wanted to say was well done'" said Alison

Archa-awesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow. that really puts it into perspective.

Presley B. said...
I love this piece. It;s so descriptive you can actually see the scene! I'm very impressed!

Ghalia_ZJThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! :) 

mtariqq said...
Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm:
Absolutely love it.

Call_Me_AriaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:41 am:
I like how you included all the thoughts of the subject, while keeping rythym. this is one of those poems that I could read over and over and over :D

emmalizmort said...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm:
This is 100% one of my favorite poem of all time!

emmalizmort replied...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm :
sorry I meant to say..... This is 100% my favorite poem of all time.

Smiles189 said...
Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm:
This is a great piece of writing , and I can realte to it, but the library is a great place, ecspecially upstairs in the teen section, 

cowgirl4everThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm:
This is good, and I can relate!!

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:43 am:
I bet there are a lot of us out there who can relate to this. You make it sound sad and yet hopeful. But don't worry! There's always someone who is willing to befriend the friendless! (Like me, for example :)

billionaireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm:
i love this

Niquel said...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm:
Wow...I swear I was feeling like this the other night. I mean, I'm going to graduate high school with an Associate's degree, I do volunteer work every week, I've picked up piano lessons, I'm a member of NHS, I even stopped biting my nails and lost twenty pounds. While all this stuff is going to help me ten years from now when I'm some successful, legendary person....I don't really have a life right now. I mean, taking up your summer with college classes at sixteen an... (more »)

Niquel replied...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm :
And I swear, I realized this like... Two days ago! Something happened, and I was really needing a friend, so I started to go through the contact list in my phone for someone to talk to... I have 32 contacts in my cell phone. That sounds like a lot. Twelve of them are teachers. Another one is my bus driver. I realized I had every single one of my teacher's phone numbers, plus the school counsler, the principal, the after-school organizer lady, and the superintendent. One is my mom, one is my ... (more »)

Hazelbabe18 said...
Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm:
A REALLY NICE ONE !!:) THIS SOUNDS AS IF THIS WAS WRITEN FOR ME....:)

xxMelxx said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm:
A well written poem :) Keep up the good work!

Mandy22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:59 am:
The best  poems are the ones people can relate to. I can totally relate to yours. Great work!

Maya E. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm:
I love the poem. I can relate. Please read and rate my poems. Thanks!

biancaasare said...
May 27, 2013 at 9:28 pm:
love your writing style! xx