All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

emmalizmort said...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm:
This is 100% one of my favorite poem of all time!

emmalizmort replied...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm :
sorry I meant to say..... This is 100% my favorite poem of all time.

Smiles189 said...
Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm:
This is a great piece of writing , and I can realte to it, but the library is a great place, ecspecially upstairs in the teen section, 

cowgirl4everThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm:
This is good, and I can relate!!

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:43 am:
I bet there are a lot of us out there who can relate to this. You make it sound sad and yet hopeful. But don't worry! There's always someone who is willing to befriend the friendless! (Like me, for example :)

billionaire said...
Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm:
i love this

Niquel said...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm:
Wow...I swear I was feeling like this the other night. I mean, I'm going to graduate high school with an Associate's degree, I do volunteer work every week, I've picked up piano lessons, I'm a member of NHS, I even stopped biting my nails and lost twenty pounds. While all this stuff is going to help me ten years from now when I'm some successful, legendary person....I don't really have a life right now. I mean, taking up your summer with college classes at sixteen an... (more »)

Niquel replied...
Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm :
And I swear, I realized this like... Two days ago! Something happened, and I was really needing a friend, so I started to go through the contact list in my phone for someone to talk to... I have 32 contacts in my cell phone. That sounds like a lot. Twelve of them are teachers. Another one is my bus driver. I realized I had every single one of my teacher's phone numbers, plus the school counsler, the principal, the after-school organizer lady, and the superintendent. One is my mom, one is my ... (more »)

Hazelbabe18 said...
Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm:
A REALLY NICE ONE !!:) THIS SOUNDS AS IF THIS WAS WRITEN FOR ME....:)

xxMelxx said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm:
A well written poem :) Keep up the good work!

Mandy22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:59 am:
The best  poems are the ones people can relate to. I can totally relate to yours. Great work!

Maya E. said...
May 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm:
I love the poem. I can relate. Please read and rate my poems. Thanks!

biancaasare said...
May 27, 2013 at 9:28 pm:
love your writing style! xx

frommusicwithlove said...
May 17, 2013 at 12:57 am:
That is really, keep bringing yourself into the work you can never go wrong, If you ever need someone I'm always here to help, take care c:

writingriver05 replied...
May 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm :
Ya me to i know whats like to be friendless for me it felt like a vast dark pit that i couldnt get out of if you ever need to someone to talk to well you know ...

Robby19 said...
May 16, 2013 at 7:48 am:
This was a really good poem ~ I'm new and will be getting new poems up ... Check out mine ?

Mikky said...
May 5, 2013 at 10:25 am:
Wow, never knew how it feels to be so alone. I mean I experienced it, but never acted upon it. I'm here for you, even if its just here

JustADreamerGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 2, 2013 at 10:42 pm:
Hey guys, I have one new poem, and one that should be up soon. If you could check them out and rate them, that'd be great. Thanks!

naivemelody2012 said...
May 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm:
But you have all the friends you need in your books!

revelationsmirrored replied...
May 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm :
Ay but those friends don't understand you as people do. For quite often we see characters in books as perfect people, how could they understand the imperfections, even the good ones?

naivemelody2012 replied...
May 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm :
When reading Fiction, the characters' experiences, emotions, and thoughts are laid out for the reader to consume. They are just as real as the people around me, I find.