All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Funderburk said...
today at 12:03 pm
that's some gucci Naruto fan art my dude good work on the poem too

caleigh911117 said...
Feb. 8 at 7:33 pm
I really relate to this and I hope you continue to right it could take you places and you can meet people like us

Sofia_Gonz07This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 15 at 3:55 pm
I loved this. Thank you for sharing :)

Elizabeth2001 said...
Jan. 3 at 2:47 pm
This shows that money can't buy everything and even if you have money you don't have everything. Really great job.

K.B... said...
Dec. 14, 2017 at 11:55 am
nice job love it.

B">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 14, 2017 at 2:54 am
Wow,I love this so much and it's relateable. Beautiful writing :)

Bus3">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:23 am
Fantastic poem,very nice

penquinsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
and i just realized this was almost ten years ago, wow

oh this is good. i could use a friend also lol. but good job, it's unique!

lovemaria said...
omg i love it is soo cute

G.M.2021This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great poem! I can relate to the body image and reading many MANY books a day! I think that if we ever meet we could be very good friends! That is of course if we could put down our books for long enough! :) Keep up the great writing!

LabyrinthescaperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 26, 2017 at 7:39 am

KittyKat1201 said...
Wow hay qua vay!!!! Em thiet la thich thu viet nay cua Anh Ryan do nha! ♥♥♥

pineappler03 said...
This is very relatable. I like that I can understand the feelings presented in the poem. Good job!

literallyliterary said...
Wow, this is great! This is actually really helpful, I can really relate to this and its nice too feel like someone else knows what you're dealing with. Thanks for this.

radicalchickster This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
it could use more work, but it's relatable. you wanted honest criticism. i hope you don't get offended by that. :(

Netprince16 said...
May 2, 2016 at 9:19 am
i love it it inspired me

janesnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
oh yeah? i read five books a day last summer! hot wheels, beat that!

socialkaysualtyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
this isn't a competition sweetie.

Tkenns said...
Hey, I know this can get annoying but if anyone had time to glance at my work that'd be great. I just have three short poems, but I might do more if I get enough likes. Thanks for the help! I you comment some criticism or what you like or something then I'll do the same for you!