All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

DanielaC.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 12:29 pm:
I really enjoyed this poem. It was quite admarible how he can say the truth about himself. He doesn't feel bad about himself he is just lonely

NobuoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 13 at 12:19 pm:
I'll be your friend, send an email sometime or get on TI chat

TheAlchemicalShadow said...
Apr. 9 at 11:05 pm:
Is it just me, or is every positive comment on here citing an element of "relatability" as the primary reason for liking the piece? I can't relate to Keyzer Soze from "The Usual Suspects" but I still like the movie! You people are so shallow.

juliamolly said...
Apr. 7 at 8:12 pm:
TOTALLY feel for this and really admire this.

thatoneguythathateschoolThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7 at 2:52 pm:
No one wants to be your friend

AlexandraLThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 8:15 pm:
I love this!

Lostforever123 said...
Apr. 4 at 12:20 pm:
Its a really good peom i like it. It represents you and shows who you are. Its a really good poem keep writing.

nomistooThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31 at 8:20 pm:
This reminds me of myself. It's great!

Laugh_Live_WriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31 at 5:21 pm:
This poem is wonderful and beautifully written. I love it!

soldtosatanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 26 at 3:52 pm:
I love your writing..it relates to me alot..i know im wierd and they call me a nerd but who cares atleast im me..Anyway i love the way your poem just flows its really good i cant wait to read more

Red_Riding_Hood This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26 at 12:23 am:
I love this! It's very beautiful!

hopestuur said...
Mar. 20 at 1:54 pm:
Love this & relates to so much (:

taylorjonnelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10 at 10:34 pm:
I fell in love with this poem. You have so much talent. They way you write is so real, so relatable, and so very honest. You have a kindof quirky way of transitioning from idea to idea, yet it flows perfectly. It is really quite charming. :) I enjoyed every second that i spent reading your work! I hope there is more to come :)

ParadisaicallyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6 at 2:56 pm:
Beautiful poem.  It is very relatable and it flows really well.  I love it 

MadeleineMoreland17 said...
Feb. 28 at 4:26 pm:
Fantastic. Just... Real. Honest. Fantastic.

HannaHarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28 at 1:52 am:
I think this is a very solid piece of work. I really felt for you. Maybe next time you could add more emotional impact.

Trombonemack said...
Feb. 27 at 9:07 pm:
It was very good although I would try making it a little more cryptic though that's just my style. :)

KarenZavala said...
Feb. 24 at 10:02 am:
i love the poem ^.^

. said...
Feb. 3 at 8:10 pm:
This poem is beautiful and I loved it so much. It deserved to be in the magazine and to win the contest. It describes, or can describe, almost anyone's life and I find that that is incredible. It is usually very hard to write a poem that can apply to everyone. Great job! Check out some of my poems :)

JLEIGH96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 29 at 10:05 am:
I absolutely love this so much. It describes what I do all the time, but without the money. I work so I am either in my room alone reading or working.