Power | Teen Ink

Power

By LoloG SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
LoloG SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and to be free from it." -Veronica Roth

It rips me from the inside
Gouging at my soul
No amount of pleading
Will make the pain stop

Rounds and rounds of ammunition
Loaded and fired again
They have power over me
Now that I've fallen

Nothing will stop
The relentless attack
My wounds will never heal
Always open and showing my ordeal

Words have power over me
A power that I cannot defeat
Forever my scars will show
From the wounds I could not treat

I was really inspired to write this piece when one of my friends was crying after P.E. when someone called her fat. The next day my sister came home and cried for an hour because a girl had called her names, beating down on her because she was intelligent. I was astonished to see how hurt they were by simple words. Later on I myself was verbally bullied, and I realized the scars from words last far longer than physical wounds.

Mela said...
on Jul. 27 2020 at 11:28 am
Mela, Bayelsa, Other

Anything you're doing in life put in your best for you would'nt know the day you will be called upon.

Wow! Lolog! how do you do this? You really inspired me€€

LoloG SILVER said...
LoloG SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Thank you so much! You have no idea how good hearing that makes me feel. And really, the rhyme was accidental.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

This is such an important message to share. Cruel words ravage people emotionally, and I love that you've shown that here. Your verbs are powerful, and the "rounds and rounds of ammunition" metaphor strikes at my heart as well. I don't think the poem had to rhyme, and I wonder how it would have sounded had you been unconcerned with rhyme, but overall, well done.