This Once Familiar Place | Teen Ink

This Once Familiar Place

By Comrad BRONZE, Enterprise, Utah
Comrad BRONZE, Enterprise, Utah

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
-William Ernest Henley, Invictus

He wanders onto the grounds of this once familiar place, envisioning the once white memories, now tainted with the fraudulent depictions of a place he once called his escape.

A place once filled with unrivaled warmth is superseded with thorns that burn when brushed to his cheek.

He will endure their bite no more.

With arms steady, he caresses his iron bride as he approaches the gates of his former paradise.

He imagines the white walls to be elegant when she breathes crimson onto the interior.

He passes the flag he once saluted upon the same hour each day one last time.

He wanders onto the grounds of this once familiar place, savoring the moment he left his bed, knowing his return to be illicit.

on Mar. 4 2015 at 10:35 pm
TakeAGuessKatara SILVER, Beltsville, Maryland

"Live for tomorrow, remember today, and smile because you survived yesterday," by Me

I am freaking out over here(in a very good way)! Having that background knowledge made the entire thing clearer! It's amazing that you got into this character's head and the personification is so perfect! Really Good work, seriously so deep Your a new favorite :)

on Feb. 20 2015 at 10:37 am
lifestructure_words BRONZE, Crowley, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i loved this purely for the reason it was so deep and vague. i love how much intensity it seemed to carry. really great job!

Comrad BRONZE said...
on Feb. 20 2015 at 10:32 am
Comrad BRONZE, Enterprise, Utah

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
-William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Originally written as an informative article on the Columbine High School Massacre, I became interested in the psychopathology behind it. The article soon changed into a story from a murderous student's perspective in a similar, fictional incident. After getting into the character's head, I asked myself "What was going through this person's head as they went into the school, knowing they weren't coming out?". I was intrigued by the thought.

Comrad BRONZE said...
on Feb. 20 2015 at 5:17 am
Comrad BRONZE, Enterprise, Utah

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
-William Ernest Henley, Invictus

on Feb. 19 2015 at 9:45 pm

This is so interesting but also quite vague. What are you referring to in this poem?