Junior Year This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In Math this year we didn’t discuss
existentialist theories
in light of the Fibonacci number
Or the meaning of life according to Pythagoras;
apparently, that would have been irrational.
Plus
we didn’t debate heavenly sines from above
or go off on philosophical tangents.
In Chemistry we didn’t learn
how to catalyze mutual bonds
or about the products that they form.
And it was never really made clear how the chemical formula of oxytocin –
C43H66N12O12S2
actually has any relevance when you’re talking about
a chemical reaction
between two hearts.
English did manage to say something about
the mysteries of love
and the beauty in the struggle,
but it was all about the saying.
“Clarify, define, expound, portray …”
We never sat to ponder the indescribable
or what silence looks like printed on paper
or how the best writing speaks to readers the most
when it stops itself short
before it finishes saying what it’s trying to say.
In Spanish class the topic of study
was not if citizens of el mundo entero,
instead of a ciudad or país,
really do exist today.
And we never considered that the language barrier
might not be much of a barrier at all,
or at least not as impenetrable as barriers del corazon
if, after all, acciones speak louder than palabras.
But we borrowed pencils
and shared notes
and sat shoulder to shoulder
pondering equations.
We discovered how valuable those are who teach
and how to be teachable.
We reached for the guiding hands above us
and turned back to reach for the hands below us.
We questioned everything
then questioned the answers
then questioned each other
then questioned ourselves.
Some things are just bigger than a classroom.

writer-violistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome!!!!

BreeZephyr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Gracias :)

CaseyChickenWang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2015 at 10:57 am
This is a very creative poem. In fact, I recently read a NY Times article arguing that colleges don't teach students about life. Your poem really reminds me of this. And I really love how you did point out the valuable aspects of studying in the classroom!

I think I'll try to find that article. Sounds interesting. And I'm glad that you were able to find some real-life meaning to the poem. Thank you for commenting!

JtatsuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a very captivating poem with a lot of meaning... Love it! It makes school seem a little more bearable:)

Lol, writing makes everything more bearable :) Thank you!

lucybrown said...
Feb. 14, 2015 at 8:21 am
Love this poem! I really agree with the message it sends. I was a little confused by the first four lines in the fourth stanza though. I don't know if I read it correctly but when you said if citizens of the whole world really existed today it threw me off a little because I wasn't sure what you meant. Also, the last line in the third stanza felt a little wordy, but that's just a minor nitpick. Besides that, you did a great job! I especially love the lines "we never stopped to ponder the i... (more »)

Yeah, I get why you'd be confused on that part. Basically I meant that in language class I hear a lot about "joining cultures" and becoming "citizens of the world", not just my own country--but there are only a precious few people who, whether or not it affects them personally, actually care much about what's happening in other countries. (For example, remember #BringBackOurGirls? What happened to that? Social media pretty much lost interest in that after a week. Our attention spans are pretty s... (more »)

-L.k.R- said...
Feb. 7, 2015 at 8:49 am
@BreeZephyr Interesting. I hated school but I loved studying. Being in school just...makes me more like I'm confined at some point. Anyways, good job. I love your work. Keep it up!

Ha ha, well, I wouldn't always CHOOSE to be at school if I didn't have to, but I enjoy it most of the time. XD Thank you for commenting!

CNBono17 said...
Feb. 5, 2015 at 9:11 am
Okay, why haven't you published more? Poetry isn't my favorite to read, but this is absolutely captivating! And aside from the spanish (I'm in Latin, tho I can understand it) I agree with every word! This is an amazing piece, well done!

Thank you! (And I can respect any Latin student; it just looks so hard...)

Lost_In_Her_Daydream said...
Feb. 3, 2015 at 10:32 am
@BreeZephyr This is amazing! You have quite a talent with writing. Please continue writing, I would love to read more of your work!

@Lost_In_Her_Daydream : Thank you so much! :)