Birthday Wishes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At the end of my lighter –
a flame.
Hover over the candles,
share my little flame
with each one.
Soon a myriad
of small blazing beacons
warm my nose and rosy cheeks.
Thin tendrils
of acrid smoke
drifting upwards, ever closer.
Take a deep breath,
hold it in.
Then make your wish.
Hush –
Don’t tell me,
but keep it in.
Never ever let it go.
Like the rush of air
you’ve just released –
gone forever.
And as it left,
it took the light.
One by one they lost their life.
And now we’re left in darkness.

authoress17 said...
Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:57 am
Beautiful work as always! :) This was so sad, but contained tons of emotion. So simple, yet so deep. Congratulations on being published. That is so awesome and you deserve it. I am so happy for you. I truly enjoy your work and I mean that. Thank you for posting this wonderful piece. Keep on writing!

Nightingale74 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks @authoress17! I always enjoy reading your work too, as well as your comments ;) You keep on writing too!!

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely beautiful, @Nightingale74! I find this rather sad, but just extremely beautiful and full of emotion. It has such a beautiful complexity and simplicity at the same time, if that makes sense. I know I've said this before, but you are truly a wonderful and talented and beautiful person and writer, filled with light and beauty and talent and so much more. Congratulations for this being published and you getting published! You, truly, truly deserve it and I am proud of you and ha... (more »)

Thank you @MissEmilyDickinson :D Your support and words of encouragement really keep me going and keep me motivated :)

bewareofbunnyrabbits said...
Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
WOW I love it :D

bewareofbunnyrabbits said...
Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
WOW I love it :D

Thank you so much for your comment, Liv! You know, to be honest, it helped me see my poem in a new way :) I think it's interesting how poetry is like that; one poem can mean so many different things to different people. It's incredible! :D

Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:36 am
Thank you so much!!! :D