Seventy-Five Names This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Sometimes I feel like an acrobat with seventy-five names.
Like I’ve been twisted and stretched,
Thrown and twirled,
And been in every bodily frame.

Sometimes it’s hard to be everyone at once,
To love your neighbor
and impress your friends.

It hurts to be grabbed and yanked across a stretch of air,
Have to tie up the loose ends.

My muscles throb, burn, and ache.
I only want to breathe,
but life wants to take.

All of the oxygen around my head is fading,
and blue fills my eyes.

Sister, daughter, friend, nerd, flute player –
Ahh! I’m not alive!

I’m Liv, just Liv.
So leave me be.
I like books,
I like fire and tea.

I like to be alone sometimes,
and pretend I don’t have one single name.
I think, childishly, I don’t take the blame.

Not Olivia, Liv, Livi, Elle, or Olive, I just turn the key.
Because seventy-five names are way too many for me.

KatyainiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 22, 2016 at 8:40 am
Wow! So relatable and so true, and it's painful to keep up such a balance with all of one's identities- you end up feeling like a hollow shape with endless number of masks.

Nightingale74 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful Liv!! You always write with such power and voice :) You truly do have a lot of talent! Please keep writing!!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aw thank you! I'm so glad you liked it!

_em26 said...
Oct. 19, 2014 at 11:20 am
Such powerful writing! My hat goes off to you *claps*

Thank you so much! *snaps* lol old tradition... anyway.... Thanks so so so much for checking this out! Have a great day :)

Niyaroo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 16, 2014 at 7:17 am
Wow! Very well written

Thank you! I wrote this at one 'o' clock in the morning, so I didn't expect it to be readable, but what do you know? lol Thanks again :)