Compromised Perfection | Teen Ink

Compromised Perfection

By BThomas1313 SILVER, Vanceburg, Kentucky
BThomas1313 SILVER, Vanceburg, Kentucky

"There are much greater things ahead than any we might leave behind" ~C.S. Lewis

I am completely overwhelmed

With society's perceptions

Or perfection

I do not meet.

Without shrouding my face in makeup,

Or bearing my skin for all to see,

I am nothing.

I will never fit in this staus quo

As long as I like best

What I see in the mirror

At the end of the day

In an old t-shirt and pajama pants,

Rosy cheeks exposed to the world,

And hair slightly frizzed from a tedious day.

There's something here no one else can see.

I'm not claiming flawlessness,

Merely compromised perfection.

As long as we are the best version of ourselves we can be (compromised perfection) then there's no reason to listen to what other people say is wrong with us. :) This poem helped me gain confidence.

on Sep. 3 2014 at 11:16 am
guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Wow you seem to have captured perfectly what many teens have been trying to say. i love the message of how no one has to fit in to feel perfect, because God made everyone a specific way, and that is perfect. Great job! :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Great title, message, and ending. I like the feeling of laid-back(ness) (not a word, by the way :). Just careful with the typos here and there. Otherwise, powerful statement in such a time of low self-esteem due to society's misconstrued perception of beauty. 

JadeW GOLD said...
JadeW GOLD, Hillsborough, North Carolina

“There is the great lesson of 'Beauty and the Beast,' that a thing must be loved before it is lovable.”
― G.K. Chesterton

First off, love love love love the title. I also deeply in love with this poem and the word choice and the way it seemily gets you submersed in the poem just firstly amazing and beauitful. Brillant job loved it :)

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Amazing lines that dug deep lines in my heart! I could feel every single word of this poem, and I am so happy I was able to read this :) You are a talented poet, and a very unique person with amazing character! Ignore society, becoause you are "Compromised Perfection" as you so poeticall put it! Keep writing my friend, and you'll go far!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

"I'm not claiming flawlessness, merely compromised perfection." This is a wonderful line that speaks volumes. You're a very talented writer, keep it up!