Faces | Teen Ink

Faces MAG

By LIKEwhoaa GOLD, Carrollton, Texas
LIKEwhoaa GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
-Charles DuBois

Yesterday was Sunday. The day I dress up
and smile at everyone. Listen to everyone’s
problems and hand out free compliments. I
sit still and pay attention to the choir.
The never-do-anything-wrong girl.

During the week, I dress down. I act
like my friends and laugh at the cost of others.
I hug someone, then go and tell my friends how
ugly that someone looks today.
The go-along, tag-along girl.

At home, I am what my parents want
me to be. I sit still at dinner, do my
homework, listen to the stories they
tell of their day. The super-special daddy’s girl.

All of these faces I have confuse me. I’m never
quite sure who I am at the time, Or if I am the
right person with the right people. Yesterday,
I was the got-it-all-together girl. Today I’m the
not-sure-of-anything girl.

rwbDragonfly said...
rwbDragonfly, Greenville, Georgia

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming" by matthew arnold

It was beautiful i feel the exact same way... not knowing who you are and just wanting to do the right thing but losing yourself whoever that may be  

SpyceChik GOLD said...
SpyceChik GOLD, Accra, Other

If it must be done, it must be done well.

The message is very clear. Well done.

OldYoungOne said...
I understand the feeling. Good Job.

becca2013 GOLD said...
becca2013 GOLD, Jetmore, Kansas

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13

LOVE! This is an awesome poem and is so true!

Zithia PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"It makes no difference who or what you are, old or young, black or white, pagan, Jew, or Christian, I want to love you all and be loved by you all, and I mean to have your love." -Victoria Woodhull

1st stanza is fabulous and has great flow. I love it.  Wouldn't do a thing to change it.   I love the sentences is the other stanzas, but I feel that the line breaks make it too choppy.  However, the content of this poem is great, as is the title.

drewnowater PLATINUM, Danville, Kentucky
very intriguing and excellent word choice! we are often caught up in how to act around certain people and in certain circumstances, and you captured this feeling perfectly.

so_joy SILVER said...
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey

"Be the change you want to see."

Wow! This is extremely interesting, and something all of us can relate to. At times, I am told "just be yourself", but I don't really know who that is anymore. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks!

phlogiston ELITE, Hermitage, Tennessee

"A day without laughter is a day wasted" -Charlie Chaplin

This is absolutely so relatable! Just keep on being you. You are a great writer.

outsider SILVER, Amawalk, New York

The heart breaks and breaks and lives by breaking, it is nessesary to go through dark and deeper dark and not to turn
-the testing tree

This is a work that i think everyone can relate to, one that's read then thought about and complemented

on Apr. 20 2012 at 3:39 am
reman5 PLATINUM, Ganei Tikwa, Other

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

I understand the situation your presenting here, even sympathise with it because just like you and many others, sometimes I need to wear "masks" and "faces" to fit and survive the day, but all of us must understand that the "faces" & "masks" are just places to hide from who we really because we're afraid some people might not like us for who we are...

Court901 BRONZE, Magnolia, Texas

"Imagniation is not a talent of some people, but it is the health of every person" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think this is my favorite poem that I have read so far on this site. It is simple yet so brilliant. Love it.

on Feb. 14 2012 at 11:01 am
AlexisNicole822 SILVER, Elyria, Ohio

Robert Pattinson: “If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads"

Whoa, I can verrrrrry much relate to this poem. I am me, but I wear many different faces and personalities depending on who I'm with because I'm afraid. You stated you're just confused, which I felt for a while. Anyway, this is amazing.

Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten GOLD, Ogden, Utah

"Time, the cradle of hope.... Wisdom walks before it, opportunity with it, and repentance behind it: he that has made it his friend will have little to fear from his enemies, but he that has made it his enemy will have little to hope from his friends." ~Charles Caleb Colton

I feel the same, too often for comfort. Becoming a little more selfish for awhile with every face might help a little. Just remember to become the person you want to be when you find it.

on Feb. 8 2012 at 10:52 am
disenchanted SILVER, Yakima, Washington

Because our love is the wind.I can't see it but oh I can feel it-A Walk to Remember.Sex is full of lies.The body tries to tell the truth.But,its usually to batttered with rules to be heard,and bound with pretense so it can hardly move- Jim Morrison

Nice work.. I know how u feel (:

JessicaCason BRONZE, Boiling Springs, South Carolina

"Tragicly, I've turned tragity, into melody.." FIR

This is amazing I can relate to it more than anything I've read on here. KEEP WRITING! c:

Momo1995 GOLD said...
Momo1995 GOLD, East Elmhurst, New York

"Through the thick gloom of the present I see the brightness of the future." -Daniel Webster

Teenage life is all about struggling to find one's place in this fast moving world; brilliant :)

on Jan. 17 2012 at 7:17 am
cebomar9 BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" -Philippians 4:13

i love this because it's one of those subjects i think about all the time but could never find the words to put it in

Halolover54 BRONZE, Johnston, Iowa
1 article 1 photo 8 comments

"Never give in"

i loved it!

iCreate SILVER said...
iCreate SILVER, Vidor, Texas
Amazing! And it's true, you know. This is most people's daily life. Way to put it in aware!

emattox SILVER said...
emattox SILVER, Onancock, Virginia

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. -Ghandi

Who you are as a person and your emotions are conveyed SO well in this :) Keep on writing, you're truly talented!