Wake-up | Teen Ink

Wake-up

By TheLovelyRose GOLD, Saginaw, Michigan
TheLovelyRose GOLD, Saginaw, Michigan

Too many favorite quotes to pick just one. ☺

Tap, tap, tap,
is that what life is about now?
It's 2014 now,
wasn't it flying cars, and light sabers we were promised?
Tap, tap, tap...
Was it not freedom we were granted so long ago?
what was given to us then if it were not what we were promised?
Tap, tap, tap...
What were we given?
Tap, tap, tap...
We were given a string,
a string tying us down and the longer we shortened that string the stronger it grew.
The tighter and more bound to your life it connected.
Tap, tap, tap...
The string soon becomes an elastic rope coiling tighter and tighter the more you recoil. With each bounce back the elastic becomes less flexible.
Tap, tap, tap...
As the distance becomes shorter and the elastic fastens tighter it becomes a chain.
Each chink as strong as a 2 ton bull ready to buck into action.
Tap, tap, tap...
So what were we given?
Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap.
So what were we given?
Tap. Tap.
Here I'll tell you what, as that chain shortens so does your vocabulary, so does your speech, your confrontations, hello's and goodbyes...and maybe even your life.
Tap, tap, tap.
Have you got it yet? Tap.
Do you know? Tap. Tap.
So what were we given?
We were gifted the greatest help and damage, the ever evolving ever accessible cell phone.
Tell me was it worth losing your boyfriend over a text?
Tap, tap, tap.
Tell me was it worth you losing your job because your text was all too important??
Tap, tap, tap.
Tell me was it worth your failing grades to text the boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend???
TAP. TAP. TAP.
Tell me please was it worth missing your chance because that text on the other line serves more important!?
Tell me now I would really love to know.
TAP! TAP! TAP! TAP! TAP! TAP!
TELL ME REALLY WAS IT WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE IN THAT CAR ACCIDENT WHEN YOUR TEXT MESSAGE JUST COULDN'T WAIT!?! TELL ME WAS IT WORTH IT?
WAS IT WORTH LOSING YOUR SIBLING, MOTHER, FATHER, BEST FRIEND, BOYFRIEND, YOUR LIFE OR SOME OTHER INNOCENT LIFE OF ANOTHER ONCOMING VEHICLE THAT HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY AND YOU WERE JUST TO STUPID TO TURN YOUR PHONE OFF THAT KNOW SOME FAMILY’S BLOOD...is on YOUR hands!?!
Tell me was it worth seeing 4 year old Angela’s tombstone? How about her older brother Johnathon or the children’s mother Sara? Tell me is the guilt eating away at you like a thousand fire ants? How does it make you feel knowing if you would of just turned off your phone you would have been paying attention to the red light? Would have actually stopped at the red light instead of t-boning Sara’s car at 65 mph when the speed limit was only 35 but again the texts were more important than paying attention to the speed limit change two roads back.
Tap. Tap. Tap.
How does it feel knowing they would have made it to the ice cream shop and been able to celebrate Johnathon’s first soccer win if it weren’t for you?
It’s sad isn’t it? Now wake up and see it was just a nightmare. Now what?
If the first thing you do in the morning is look at your phone you’re in the wrong.
Realize it can wait, realize what becoming too attached to your phone means.
Wake up and say good morning mom, dad, brother, sister, uncle, God, whomever is in your house.
Learn that Facebook, Twitter, Texting, Snapchat, Instagram, and so on aren’t going anywhere. Stop letting life pass you by with the consistent tap tap tap of your phone, look at the world, stop and smell the roses.
Stop the tap tap tap and think is it really worth it?

I felt inspired to speak my mind in the best way I know. Everywhere I go whether it be a friends house or just out phones are everywhere. I feel like this world is becoming a slave to the cell phone, often people get so wrapped up in their cell phone carrying out an actual conversation face to face is awful. So my hope is people will read this and maybe understand a few things.