Cotton Candy | Teen Ink

Cotton Candy

By bsolich14 PLATINUM, Greenwood Village, Colorado
bsolich14 PLATINUM, Greenwood Village, Colorado

"Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and, therefore, the foundation of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared."
—J.K. Rowling

today i was filled with cotton candy. it was soft and sticky, but it wasn’t innocent. it started out as a thick white smoke, the tendrils of which coiled and uncoiled menacingly. i didn’t want to know what it felt like to have that untrustworthy vapor crowd in among my bones and organs and muscles. so before it reached my chest, i decided that it would be cotton candy. but an essence of the suffocating white smoke lingered, even as i focused on the sweet wisps of edible cloud spilling out of my chest like stuffing.

today i was filled with cotton candy, but yesterday i was filled with molten metal: heavy and scalding. i felt it swim around my insides, touching every drop of blood in my veins. it wasn’t nearly as benign – it began to permeate my thoughts, my actions. i became the mercurial liquid, burning those around me. i was so much heavier than when i was stuffed with spun sugar.

today i was filled with cotton candy, but many other substances have resided within me. i have been filled with hot, thick blood, boiling with hatred. i have felt my insides drowning in saltwater, stinging and dehydrated. i have felt the sweet springtime grass sprouting from my heart and my lungs and my brain, exuding a friendly perfume.

today i was filled with cotton candy, and i have embraced all that I have been stuffed with. but today was the first time that I had control over it. somehow, i managed to turn something malignant and ominous into something sweet and amiable.

I tried a different approach to describing what my emotions felt like.