Organ Systems This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

My heart feels like a cancerous lung—
flooded with tar and festering with abuse,
oozing the pain of rejection into my bloodstream.

My arms feel like broken legs—
torn muscles burning with lactic acid residue,
my sense of touch demolished.

My spine hangs like a falling tree—
branches of vertebrae rotting from pollution,
the pollution of my delicate organ systems.

My brain does not know how to think—
rather, it sits like a chicken’s egg,
an egg stepped on before hatching.

The blood, tissues, organs of my infant body
smoldering in the heat of day,
burnt to a crisp on the sidewalk of the sun.

Will I ever live?

Magistra said...
Jul. 5 at 8:53 am
Scientifically graphic images--so effective, since they are personal and painful, yet one cannot turn away. The ending made me flinch, which I think was the intent! Marvelous!

HudaZaveryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 29 at 12:27 pm
Why doesnt this piece have more comments? This poem is amazing, and I ompletely agree with McKay. You grasped my attention from the first line to the last. Well done!

ChrisJThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29 at 7:09 pm
Thank you for your uplifting words. I'm glad you liked my poem!

ChrisJThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24 at 3:30 pm
I truly appreciate the uplifting comment, Mckay. Thank you very much and I'm glad you like my work!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24 at 1:36 pm
My heart feel like a cancerous lung—This opening line grasps my entire attention, stirs my emotion, and shakes my dormant muse. The whole poem is a banquet of grostesque images and poignant emotion. I can't decide which stanza I loved most: they're all equally marvelous. Great to know you're still writing amazing poetry, my friend. Congratulations on the Editors' Choice for this piece; well deserved. 5/5