Slipping Away This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I grasp your hand as if it's the last piece
of Earth I hold
before falling off a cliff.

I remember your scent as well as a child would,
like the smell of fresh cookies coming from the bakery when it opens in the morning.

I feel your gentle hug, warming me,
like that first sip of coffee as it trickles
down my throat.
Not to replace those forehead kisses,
which ripple like the whipped cream
when it floats at the top of my cup.

I compare you to the comfort of my most worn pajamas.
You feel so familiar despite the holes and tears, which make the unwearable
Yet I keep them anyway

At least I can still keep them, but you
I cannot keep.
The cliff is looking slippery and steep;
our hands refuse to meet.

you let go

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love love love love LOVE this poem! It has great comparisons and simplicity that speaks for miles! great job!   Could you read my story? I need some feebcak for it. :)  TeenInk.com/fiction/thriller_mystery/article/686391/The-Dreams-that-Keep-Gettign-Darker/

XOBookishXO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much! I was going for a personal yet relatable feel. I'm happy you liked it. -- Of course I'll read your story!! :) 

Bismah said...
It's extremely well written and thought out, and I adore the sybolism of the cliff and the metaphors. I look forward to your writing, this is incredible!

Thank you! I love working with language that way! It's what makes writing most enjoyable. :)