The Girl Who Held The Moon

When she returns from the hospital
With a passive look on her face
And her lip clenched between her teeth
I don't ask her if it's bad news;
I just pull her into a tight hug

She doesn't spend her last few days
Sky diving or robbing a bank
Partying or confessing love
Instead, she brings me to the rooftop
In the midst of a humid summer night
The moon hangs over our heads
It is cradled by a constellation of stars
And sleeps with an eye open, watches over us
"Before I'm gone" she whispers, "I want to bring you the moon"
She's bringing her fingers up to it now
And pretends to hold it between her fingertips

And she is breathing in the thick, stale smell
Of cigars and dirt
She is letting the scent cling to her shirt, like a needy child
Until she knows it will not let go
And I ask her why
She tells me that it does not smell of perfume or roses
But it smells of memories and nostalgia
It smells of ginger tea and midnight tree climbs
It smells of home
A scent no department store
Can sum up in a cheap, glass bottle

She falls in and out of consciousness throughout the night
Eyes lighting up and fading out like lightning bugs
Her hair is wilting away, a perishing rose
And I want to gather each petal in my arms
And piece them back together
Before they turn to dust

Time goes by
She is tinier every time I see her
She looks like she has aged ten years in ten days
And as tears brim to the surface of her eyes
Like the taut bones of her cheeks
She keeps talking about the future
See, she loves to speak of the future
Of where she will live when she is married
And what kinds of flowers she will plant in her garden
And though she is a pile of distressed tears and tired limbs right now
She does not let that stop her from dreaming
She still tells me about the future like it's a matter-of-fact
She tells me about how we will travel to New York and LA together
And how one day, her child will have her eyes and her husband's smile
See, she is down to earth
Yet her feet never quite touch the ground

And I tell her about the future, too
Even when I notice that her eyes have fallen shut
And the shuddering of her slim, tree branch arms have stopped
I keep talking
I pretend she is awake for just a little longer;
The girl who held the moon

moderndayEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4 at 6:31 pm:
Your poem is amazingly written and very beautiful, as it was sad at the same time. Thank you for sharing this. You're a talented person.

LonglegsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4 at 4:52 pm:
Wow! This is so awesome~creative and so beautiful. Great work!

AuthorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 22 at 10:10 am:
What a great piece of art! This is magnificent! Honestly, I read the poem over and over many times. I still want to. All the best! Excellent job!

AnnekeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 20 at 9:00 pm:
this is so sad, i love it. it was a little bit long for me, but you made it work. great job!

CheesePieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19 at 1:05 am:
It's AWESOME! It may be sad, but that's kind of what makes it beautifully awesome. Hopefully you become a writer one day cause once again, THIS IS AWESOME! :)

Ariel_FluffyyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11 at 11:59 am:
Like WOW! I am pretty much left speechless. This is just...WOW!

Sparrow01This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 8 at 12:39 pm:
Wow, this poem is so full of emotion. My eyes got all watery by the end haha, great job keep writing :)

WinterRose1976This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28 at 6:05 pm:
This is such a sad, sweet poem. It's beautifully written and conveys so much emotion. Nice work 5/5

lydia.wThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 26 at 10:30 pm:
Oh my gosh I love this! I can picture everything

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 23 at 9:05 pm:
I cannot believe how powerful and beautiful this poem is. It actually brought tears to my eyes, which hasn't happened in a while. I absolutely love your writing style, and, of course, your writing! This poem is so elegant and purposeful and profound and poignant... Keep it up, please! You're so talented.

HayatC.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 23 at 4:07 pm:
This gave me goosebumps. Wow! You're an extraordinary writer, I really enjoyed reading this :)

SabrinaFaireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 22 at 10:52 pm:
This is so beautiful! I love how intricate it is.

Cam_Dale said...
Jun. 22 at 6:33 pm:
That was AMAZING. It's like something teachers require their students to analyze from a textbook (but in a good way). #speechless

Luv4EverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 21 at 4:49 pm:
I remember suggesting a title for this, it's still as beautiful since the last time I read it

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12 at 8:44 pm:
Oh my God...this... There are no words. This is a AMAZING love poem, touched me in every way... The second stanza was my favorite :) It reminded me of The Fault In Our Stars (which I mean in the absolute BEST way!) Powerful, Beautiful stuff.

_Zavery_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 13 at 9:34 am :
Wow thank you so much, your comment really made my day =)