Letter to the Unlucky This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

If you are the one to bury me,
if I am lucky enough to spend my last
moments knowing your heart is the one
still trailing Earth's quiet curvature,
bury me as you have done everything
else for me, gently and sweetly.
I don't want to be a cloud of barren dust
falling to ruin on the coffee table –
I want to sleep with the trees and feel
their warm roots overtaking me, and I
want them to curl around my ears and
my arms and however else they wish, because
it won't matter to me anymore.
Don't mark my patch of land with any
tombstone – I want to be quiet, in death
as in life. Let good and evil reign above
me, for I am but one flash across
this Earth. Don't think about me or what
I'm doing, for I will surely never leave you
(never worry, dear, I am closer to you now
than I ever was before). I am not only around
you but also inside you, threading warm wings
throughout you until you come home.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 18 at 5:24 pm
It reminds me of Christina Rossetti's sonnet "Remember".  There's the same sense of optimism. But at the same time, it's imbued with this sense of feeling insignificant, like as if the speaker deems him-/herself of not being recognized after death, since as you say in the poem "I am but one flash across this Earth". And yet there's also a sense of bondness. As if Death brings us closer to our loved one: closer than how Life ever does. Executed perfectly. 5/5

Miss_OrangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16 at 6:44 pm
I think this is really good, The editor was right by considering it as an exceptional peice.