Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

joebroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:42 am
omg this is the best poem I have ever read on this site so far.. im really lost for words, I would really love it if you check out some of my stuff

Turbo223 said...
Feb. 2 at 4:44 pm
Looks great!

MAL.1814 said...
Feb. 2 at 11:58 am
I used to feel just like this. I have finally overcome that feeling though. I hope that you will too. I used to feel like it would never go away that I would be stuck there for ever, but trust me you wont just give it time and it will go away. I hope that you start to feel loved again.

DesmineRobinson said...
Jan. 11 at 1:53 pm
You have some nice vocabulary there! You go!!!!

WindRunnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is beautiful. I love it!

vada5221 said...
its good and true to my life as well

HJRPeters said...
I really liked the way you used your words very deep. Poetry like this should get its own award.

TravelerenRouteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:24 am
You did a great job!!

Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:22 am
I completely agree!

AJ_Bettick said...
I love this poem.  It's a really cool metphor

StarryGrunge said...
Impressive. I love your metaphor of being like the flame. I can relate. Good job on getting this published, you deserve it!

GGLovesLife said...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:38 am
I think you did a wonderful job without over doing it. :) You're getting: five stars.

HiChanelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing Job! I love this, it's really good.

Bomer said...
wow i never would have thought of that. Its so positive it was breath taking thank you for your piece

SweetThing said...
i love how you wrote it in a relatable sense 

Hawkeye101 said...
nice job that was a great poem

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 11:06 am
Aren't we all candles at one time or another? it really makes you think.

writer3499 said...
Beautiful! And it's really well writen...love it! It's relatable and powerful, great peom!!

shaylapurple16 said...
Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:21 am
Wow. This is a great poem! It's so relatable and expresses so many things. Congrats on getting in the magazine :) Maybe someday I will too...please read my stuff if you'd like! Great job!  

juicyfan6 said...
Great job! I understand where you're coming from, and this poem was written very well!