Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

HereSheIsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 7:36 am
So amazing and well-written

Angelina_Best_WriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3 at 9:12 am
This just speaks to me so clearly, this poem is literally my life. Amazing work.

Ro.nell said...
Jan. 28 at 7:08 am
I really loved this! Great poem, I could feel it speaking to my insides! lovit lovit.

brookiecookie17 said...
Honestly, I was a little skeptical when I clicked to read this, but you have serious talent! I relate a lot, and I loved the way that you presented your emotions. Keep up the good work!

MarisDarwin said...
Dec. 1, 2016 at 9:25 am
i like this poem alot. Whenever i first read it, i skimmed honestly. It made me think that you were comparing yourself to the match and the wick. Happiness reminded me of the flame. You can be happy, and have it bright, but sometimes it can get smoldered away by bad circumstances. Also, you can share happiness with someone and pass it on, or you can lose it and someone can take it away. It shows irony about optimism and pessimism. Pessimism because sometimes we can't all be happy, and optimism b... (more »)

LeisurelySketchesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 30, 2016 at 5:17 am
Very nice, a beautiful poem.

Mads1405 said...
This is so good.

JeyceDAspartan said...
So amazing

pineappler03 said...
Aug. 5, 2016 at 12:20 am
OMG I love this!

Kaylene_Kristofferson said...
That was very warm felt and great

ripvansprinkle said...
Jun. 22, 2016 at 9:56 am
I love the idea of a flame being "domesticated." Beautifully structured and incredibly well-written! I would love your feedback on my poem "Sunburst" if you get the chance!

kaylalynn84 said...
Masterfully crafted. It is the longed for disturbance in a monotonous sea of poetry.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
sad, but worded in a beautiful way

dpurdy said...
wow its great

dpurdy said...
this is gorgeous

niciolah said...
This is gorgeous. I love poetry about fire. Stunning.

marie.trisha said...
help me plx help help plz help me me me

Dream_Bar22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 20, 2016 at 11:26 am
WOW......This is wow...

unicornic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 20, 2016 at 3:37 am
wow! this is amazing!

MassachusettsloverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 29, 2015 at 7:01 am
good good!!