Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

GGLovesLifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 7:38 am:
I think you did a wonderful job without over doing it. :) You're getting: five stars.

HiChanelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing Job! I love this, it's really good.

Bomer said...
wow i never would have thought of that. Its so positive it was breath taking thank you for your piece

SweetThing said...
i love how you wrote it in a relatable sense 

Hawkeye101 said...
nice job that was a great poem

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 11:06 am:
Aren't we all candles at one time or another? it really makes you think.

writer3499This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Beautiful! And it's really well writen...love it! It's relatable and powerful, great peom!!

shaylapurple16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:21 am:
Wow. This is a great poem! It's so relatable and expresses so many things. Congrats on getting in the magazine :) Maybe someday I will too...please read my stuff if you'd like! Great job!  

juicyfan6 said...
Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm:
Great job! I understand where you're coming from, and this poem was written very well! 

livelovelaugh353 said...
Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:54 am:
This was beautifully written and I completely understand where you are coming from. I hope you are able to keep your candle lit (:

mellowmari said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm:
This poem really showcases your feelings! I give it two thumbs up!

Soccerisme said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm:
Great work! I totally understand and this poem was written fantastically! 

dragon1572 said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm:
Amazing poem, imagery and description was great and through this each reader can relate it to his/her own personal experience. Great work.

The-Silent-CallThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm:
I love the reference to the controlled haven of the candle wick, to the burning down of homes. There is such a large definition of fire, but I believe you potrayed it quite well!

Two of Tow said...
May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm:
Read Farenheit 451

Two of Tow said...
May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm:
Read Farenheit 451

WR1T3RThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved it! You did a wonderful job! =)

KelliBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 15, 2012 at 11:28 am :
I understand. NO judgement here. Great job!

satellite23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very desciptive, but a bit cliche and boring.

pianokeysevie replied...
May 15, 2012 at 9:18 am :
i would have said the same if this was any longer, but i liked the length.. i didn't find it boring