Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

MarisDarwin said...
today at 9:25 am
i like this poem alot. Whenever i first read it, i skimmed honestly. It made me think that you were comparing yourself to the match and the wick. Happiness reminded me of the flame. You can be happy, and have it bright, but sometimes it can get smoldered away by bad circumstances. Also, you can share happiness with someone and pass it on, or you can lose it and someone can take it away. It shows irony about optimism and pessimism. Pessimism because sometimes we can't all be happy, and optimism b... (more »)

LeisurelySketchesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 5:17 am
Very nice, a beautiful poem.

Mads1405 said...
Nov. 2 at 12:13 pm
This is so good.

JeyceDAspartan said...
Nov. 1 at 12:45 pm
So amazing

pineappler03This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 5 at 12:20 am
OMG I love this!

Kaylene_Kristofferson said...
Jul. 14 at 3:59 pm
That was very warm felt and great

ripvansprinkleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 22 at 9:56 am
I love the idea of a flame being "domesticated." Beautifully structured and incredibly well-written! I would love your feedback on my poem "Sunburst" if you get the chance!

kaylalynn84This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31 at 9:11 pm
Masterfully crafted. It is the longed for disturbance in a monotonous sea of poetry.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 31 at 6:01 pm
sad, but worded in a beautiful way

dpurdy said...
May 9 at 12:14 pm
wow its great

dpurdy said...
May 9 at 12:14 pm
this is gorgeous

niciolah said...
Mar. 26 at 11:02 pm
This is gorgeous. I love poetry about fire. Stunning.

marie.trisha said...
Feb. 11 at 3:39 pm
help me plx help help plz help me me me

Dream_Bar22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 20 at 11:26 am
WOW......This is wow...

unicornic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 20 at 3:37 am
wow! this is amazing!

MassachusettsloverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 29, 2015 at 7:01 am
good good!!

dpowell3543This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I understand.

Darius_NoblesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 10, 2015 at 11:33 am
TeenInk.com/users/Darius_Nobles Please good check out my writing and leave constructive comments. Thank You

WHYSOSERIOUS said...
Amazing.yeah i know that feeling too i think everyone understands at least a little bit of that feeling

jasmineosh said...
This is amazing, congratulations on getting it posted in the magazine, you have true talent. :)